B&W Companion - Check for Cracks

DW_Gray

I performed some routine maintenance on my hitch yesterday and discovered I have a bigger problem than I recently thought. Near the end of June I took my Cyclone to Lippert in Goshen, IN for some upgrades. While there I decided to lower the pivot arms. While doing so, I noticed that two welds were broken on both side of the rear side of the base. The Lippert tech welded the broken welds. Prior to painting some rust spots I noticed the the base was cracked all the way through opposite the welds. I've attached some pictures.

I contacted Gregg Lafferty at B&W and a replacement base is on the way.

Attachments

• IMG_2749.jpg
    IMG_2749.jpg
    182.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_2746.jpg
    IMG_2746.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2753.jpg
    IMG_2753.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 68

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Thanks for the information. I will have to go and check mine, however I don't think my BH is quite as heavy as your Cyclone.

I did have a problem with the U-Bolts stretching and gaulding the threads. I replaced the U-Bolts with some Grade 8 bolts and strap steel.

BC

trvlrerik

That is a little scary when you think about the stress it took to tear the bottom of the base like that.
Out of curiosity what set of holes do you have your upright "triangles" (for lack of a better name) set at?

Vtxkid

Good info Dave... When we bought our new truck in Goshen while we were there last June, it came with a B&W Hitch/ Goose neck assembly already in the bed. I love the set-up but guess I will have to keep and eye on it as I have a Cyclone also...

DW_Gray

That is a little scary when you think about the stress it took to tear the bottom of the base like that.
Out of curiosity what set of holes do you have your upright "triangles" (for lack of a better name) set at?

Middle rear position.