Going to look at an Edge M18

Limer

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie on this site. I'm in the market for a 20 foot travel trailer with a floorplan exactly like the M18. We live in Rochester NY and there's a Heartland dealership about 1 1/2 hours south of here that has a Heartland Edge M18 for sale (2011) that we're going to look at on Saturday. Does anyone on the forum own one or could someone tell me a little about the build and finish quality of the Edge line? Keep in mind I do realize that every single manufacturer has issues so I can take it.

I read on a forum the other day of a guy with a Rockwood Mini Lite 1809s whose vanity cabinet fell off the wall on his first trip out (must have been a heavy tube of tooth paste). It's impossible to look at a beautifully finished travel trailer and foresee a cabinet detaching itself from the wall. I wish I could open every drawer and fill it with 50 lbs of rocks, load all the cabinets with heavy leather jackets and the cupboards with Campbells soup and pull it around for two days before I sign at the x.

So far I've looked at a SunnyBrook Harmony 18FBS. From what my wife and I saw, the SunnyBrook was amazing to look at but I can't find anything on the web about build quality to save my life. We especially liked the Serta pillow top mattress and ducted HVAC.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Happy camping and if you're ever in NY, be sure not to miss Rollins Pond in the Adirondack Mountains.

jimtoo

Hi Limer,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure some of the Heartland folks that have an Edge will jump in soon. Heartland is not perfect, as none of the manufactures are. Heartland does a really good job of working with the dealers and even independent repair shops when prior authorization is approved to repair a problem if one occurs.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

RonBB

Bought a 2010 Edge M18 in late 2009. Have used it locally and am into my 3rd camping season. I would buy it again. I have towed it with a 2006 Acura MDX, 2011 Acura MDX, & a 1 Ton Dually. All have done a good job with only a friction sway bar. I had a couple of small issues that were covered under warrantee. I have had some dripping from the A/C inside during extremely hot & humid conditions. Be aware the underside with holding tanks is open & the tanks are not insulated. On a side note I was pleased to see that the 2011 MDX (Advance package) has software in the computer to help minimize any sway, and it seems to work well. The shower is too small. Look around at some of the other threads & you can see comments/solutions for that. Nothing has fell off as in your post. Best of luck with whatever you do. Ron

Limer

Thanks for the information Ron. I'll check the threads for the shower information. From what I've seen so far, all 18 - 21 ft travel trailers have a shower that's too small. I'm be curious to see what the work around is.

Limer

Thanks Jim. That's good to know that Heartland works closely with their dealer network. I've noticed as I research that a lot of manufacturers encourage you to purchase locally for warranty reasons, meaning that if I purchased a camper out of state, my local dealer may not service it under warranty. Do you find that to be the case with Heartland as well?

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
Happy camping and if you're ever in NY, be sure not to miss Rollins Pond in the Adirondack Mountains.

And I thought that Rollins Pond was the best kept secret !! Have camped at Fish Creek in the fall for years it's a special place !!! Love it after Labor Day. No people .

Limer

And I thought that Rollins Pond was the best kept secret !! Have camped at Fish Creek in the fall for years it's a special place !!! Love it after Labor Day. No people .

It is the best kept secret. My wife got mad at me for mentioning Rollins Pond on a forum because it's so hard to get a site there. My parents started taking us to Fish Creek back in the late 60's because my dads best friend had a place on Upper Saranac. Those camping trips are my fondest memories of being a kid. We'd spend two weeks and my brothers (3) and I would have the time of our lives. I remember each night around dinner time there was a family dressed in clown suits that would water ski around the pond. My mom would make us take the boat across the pond every morning to a spot that was loaded with blueberries and we would pick enough for pancakes each morning. As I got older (and my kids) I migrated to Rollins Pond. At 10 pm you can hear a pin drop from 100 feet away. I absolutely love the state parks in New York. They're a true treasure, but Fish Creek and Rollins stand above any place I've been.

I'm going to take your advice about Fish Creek after labor day. I forgot they were still open. Rollins shuts down after labor day. If you haven't been to the VIC at Paul Smiths, check it out. there's a series of trails that are easy hikes and beautiful. We did one trail called Barnum that was really short but amazingly beautiful through brooks, marshlands, streams and towering white pines. The biggest white pines you'll ever see on the east coast. There's a hot dog stand in a parking lot across the street from the entrance to Paul Smith's that serves up an amazing Michigan (the official hot dog of ADK Park).

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
As far as the warrentee repairs at any dealer. HL cannot make a dealer do any repairs. If you have an issue and cannot find a dealer that will do the work...call HL and they will find someone that will in your area.