ATF: Big Country - DIY upper bedroom A/C install

Bob Vaughn

I have a chance to get an air conditioner for the bedroom but I would have to install it myself in my 2011 Big Country 3250 TS. I have concerns about finding the thermostat wire in the wall by the closet. Is it between the door and shelves or some other location. I think Heartland should place a sticker on the wall to let people know where it is. Also in the power panel is the circuit breaker there and just not connected?

archbarb

Bob, all I can tell you is the thermostat in the bedroom on our 3250TS is mounted between the closet slider and the shelves beside the bed.

As far as the circuit breaker, I can't tell you any way on that one.

Archie

B

bwwalczak

Start by poking your head into the closet, look to the left and you should see some wires loomed together. The thermostat wire should be inside this loom. If I remember correctly, it is brown and white. whichever color, it wil match up with the wire in the vent opening. The power wire should be yellow and coiled.

The power wire is hot and capped, connected to breaker.

If you have more questions, please feel free to contact HL service. 574-266-8726

Bob Vaughn

Start by poking your head into the closet, look to the left and you should see some wires loomed together. The thermostat wire should be inside this loom. If I remember correctly, it is brown and white. whichever color, it wil match up with the wire in the vent opening. The power wire should be yellow and coiled.

The power wire is hot and capped, connected to breaker.
I just hiked out to the camper and mine must have been built on friday as there is no thermostat wires in the closet. I guess I will have to remove the vent trim to see if there is a wire there....I better check and see if the 120 volt wire is there also before I get an A/C to go up there.....

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
Hey Bob,

If you're a little adventurous, and you find that the wiring is in the vent, then you can very carefully disassemble the wall at the closet. Most of the trim pieces are held in by brad nails and the trim will come loose with some coaxing with some wide bladed tools such as a spackling compound tool and a larger chisel. Just go very slowly and carefully so you don't make indents in the trim. This is the technique I used to repair the trim on a slideout. Let's just say that a pickle jar had rolled into a strange location. Don't ask how...

hoefler

If you have a fantastic fan in the bedroom on a thermostat like ours did, you can use that wire for the A/C.

Bob Vaughn

I went out and pulled off the vent trim and there is a 120 volt yellow #12 wire and a 12volt pair that goes to the vent fan and a brown and grey pair that I assume is the thermostat wire. On the curb side of the opening there is a pair of pink vinyl pieces of tubing about 1/2" in diameter sticking thru the frame work. I wonder what that is for and I am still at a loss as to where the other end of the thermostat wire is. I guess the guy who was supposed to drop it into the closet did not come to work that day. And the other workers took the attitude "ITS NOT MY JOB" and let it get out of the factory without being dropped....:eek:

Bob Vaughn

Maybe it's time to just have it installed.

Peace
Dave
Funny you should mention that, I just talked to the factory (AC) and the thermostat wire for the unit I was looking at has has 8 wires in it......The BC wire is 2 wires....

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Funny you should mention that, I just talked to the factory (AC) and the thermostat wire for the unit I was looking at has has 8 wires in it......The BC wire is 2 wires....
Bob, I think our front A/C unit uses a cable similar to a phone or cat5 cable but it only uses the wires it needs within it.
If you have a Camping World nearby, they sometimes run specials on installs and pretty good pricing on A/C units. The downside to Camping World is you don't know how well trained the tech is.

Bob Vaughn

I had my mobile rv repair guy come and install the unit on Tuesday before I went into the hospital on Wed. morning for a total hip replacement...