National Parks Site Scalping

Limer

Hi everyone. A few weeks ago my wife and I were listening to NPR and heard a story about scalpers purchasing campsites to the national parks and scalping them on Craigslist. They said upwards of $129/night at some parks. Has anyone come across this yet? I don't live close to a national park but I'm afraid there will be a trickle down effect to the parks in New York where I live. We have some nice state parks and sites are getting very difficult to obtain. They did say that what they're going to do is make sure the person that made the reservation is the person checking in. Too bad they can't do that for a Bruce Springsteen concert :(

wdk450

I've seen it on Sacramento Craig's list for Yosemite. I have heard that the NPS is changing policy to help stop this, requiring that the campers show ID that they are the reserving party.

Limer

I've seen it on Sacramento Craig's list for Yosemite. I have heard that the NPS is changing policy to help stop this, requiring that the campers show ID that they are the reserving party.

Thanks for telling me that. I was very upset to hear that scalpers were praying on campers. I think the majority of us were camping way before the recession hit. I camp because I enjoy, not because it's less expensive than a hotel or motel. Camping forces me to spend time outdoors. If I don't get a few pie iron sandwiches in each year I don't do well.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Nothing like good old greed to make you want to go out and blow someone's brains out. Theoretically speaking, that is.

hoefler

The Corp parks around here only allow you to reserve one site in your name for any given date. Plus you have to call the national number to make your reservation as well.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Yes, I have seen it on the Orange county, California Craigslist scalping for Yosemite and Sequoia. Except the add states something like, "I bought these, but I'm not going to be able to use them".
Yet I see it week after week for the same parks, with seemingly different available dates.