Two water heater switches...

artz

Hello, my 2011 Heartland MPG 182 has two switches with a Water Heater label.

There is one switch on the test panel, and when I switch it on it fires up the water heater.

There is another one over to the right of the bathroom. When I flip it, it does seemingly nothing.

Any ideas what the other switch is for?

jimtoo

Hi artz,

The switch on the test panel runs the water heater on propane, the other switch should turn on the electric heating element. Do not turn on the electric switch unless your sure the heater is full of water. It will burn the element out in seconds. This switch normally has a red handle that lights up when in the on position.

Jim M

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
And... you also probably have a small black rocker switch on the face of the hot water heater itself. Yoiu will need to remove the exterior HWH cover to see. You can flip it on, and leave it on. As Jim said, be sure the tank is full of water before flipping on the red "light" switch inside.

Sent you a PM also.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
If you are hooked up to shore power use the electric. It saves lots of propane and you wont here the burner going on and off all night. You can use them both for a quick reheat of the water. Then turn off the propane part.

artz

Thanks everybody! Makes total sense.

It didn't happen yet, but for my notes, how would I replace the element should it burn out? Seems like I should buy a backup element just in case.

Bob&Patty

Artz, you could get one and keep as a spare. Also you should replace the "anoid" rod once a year. It screws out and can be had at HD and Lowes. I think it's an 1 1/4 socket. When you replace it be sure to flush all the creeping crud from the bottom of the tank.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Artz, you could get one and keep as a spare. Also you should replace the "anoid" rod once a year. It screws out and can be had at HD and Lowes. I think it's an 1 1/4 socket. When you replace it be sure to flush all the creeping crud from the bottom of the tank.

I think the anode rod takes a 1 1/16" socket. Check it at the end of the season, and replace it if it's been eaten away. I'm still on the one my unit came with. Maybe filtering the water prolongs the life of it. The heater element takes a "special" wrench to get it out, available where heater elements are sold. Cost's about $6.00, I think it was.

Bob&Patty

Thanks John, was having a "bad hair day" with my spelling and memory. Maybe I was thinking of hemroids instead of anodes. Still both are a PITA.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
OK, Bob, just don't take a wrench to the 'roids. I'll hear your scream all the way to Michigan.:D But if you did wrench them down, would that make you a tight-***??? I dunno, I'm just asking.

Bob&Patty

Maybe...but never gave that much thought. Wrenched on alot of things....but....roids...never.