ATF: North Trail - slide out

We bought a 2008 North Trail 28rls new in May of 09. At the time there was paperwork in the trailer that showed the dealer had replaced the vinyl. In trying to find out why. we were told someone had probably stepped on a screw and gouged the vinyl. In didn't seem the slideout worked properly, but having never been around one assumed it was as it was supposedf to be, until we noticed when bring it in it was tipped so that it was gouging the vinyl. We glued the vinly down, it worked for a few times and started gouging again. We took it to the dealer, he said it was evidently mounted incorrectly, he tore it apart, took the tipout out, replaced the vinyl and seemed to be working ok. Now a year later while changing a flat tire with the slideout out I noticed the rollers that the slideout rolls on had worn completely through the fiberglass on the bottom of the slideout and it was rolling on wood. It talking with Gary in customer service and with the dealers the fix seems to be to put metal for the rollers to roll on. My question is why did this happen? Apparently this has happened before because Gary in customer service came up with a fix very shortly. We've also had a problem with the tires. We pulled the trailer approximately 15000 miles, give or take. In that time we've had to buy the second set of tires, making it the third set in 15,000 miles. This is all 4. Thought perhaps we were overloading it so pulled on the scale fully loaded for travel, the axels weighed 5500#. HELP!!!!!!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, occasionally the slide rollers wear through the bottom covering. Gary gave you the fix.
15,000 miles and your on the third set of tires? What acutally happened to them? Worn out, blow outs, dry rot? And what brand are you buying? All tires are not created equal.

Peace
Dave

irvin56

Our flooring was damaged also by the slide. It was the bottom trim that screwed it up. Dealer replaced flooring and also cut 3/4 inch off the full length of bottom trim and it is okay now. Tires (are your axles out of line?) I have read on the forum of axles slipping out of alignment and caused the tires to wear out the inside/ outside treads and they replaced tires and had axles realigned

The tires wear down if I dont catch them soon enough they blow out. I have checked with 3 different tire stores and until thie last one all I could get in the size needed wes Carlyle. The last one I went to Wall Mart and got a good year.
When we arent on the road the trailer is in the shop, and even so would seem 3 sets in 2 years it wouldnt be dry rot.

Sighting down the tires from the back they appear to be in line. The trailer is in the shop now but when I get it home I'll measure it from the hitch back to the tires in each side to see if that measures out the same.

I do thank every one for their ideas cause I'm about at my witts end.:(