Cleaning the RV carpet

TxCowboy

What do you use for cleaning the RV carpet? Was thinking about using the little handheld carpet clearner I use in my truck but that would take forever. The other option is using the steam cleaner that I use in the big house.

What are your thoughts?

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I use the same carpet cleaner I use in the house. I have a Hoover DualV that works pretty good. we've used it for 3 years now and the carpets look good.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
So...I have always been curious regarding all the negative comments about OSB flooring and using a carpet extractor which puts a lot of water into the carpet. Are there any ill effects to the OSB flooring using such a carpet cleaner?

ihsolutions

I would use water very, very sparingly while cleaning your RV carpets.

I'm in the manufactured housing business and we see all too often customers that use residential carpet cleaners, only to find that their subfloors (made of particle board) absorb the water and later disintegrate.

RV floors are typically OSB but the same thing can happen. Make sure you don't soak the carpet, and get as much water out as you can. Any water left between the carpet and floor does not have an easy way to escape.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We've had our carpet professionally cleaned 3 times in the last 3 years. I feel the truck mounted units provide enough suction to extract enough water and won't cause any negative effect on the OSB. Isn't it the same material that's in a stick built home? I've tried that Red rental machine and it doesn't come close the a truck mounted unit. Just my nickel...

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I think I used our B&D carpet steamer/cleaner once in the rig. A real PITA due to the layout and obstructions. I just vacuum it and call it good. If you visit our rig, leave your white gloves at home.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
I haven't had any issues with too much water, actually mine dry very fast and I use a fan on it when done to speed it up even more. The OSB used in mine at least, is the Weyerhauser structure wood, rated for exterior use with a 25 year warranty. Not at all the same stuff as particle board. I had a leak 3 1/2 years ago in the back of the trailer and have seen zero signs of any wood or glue failure. The carpet pad on these is pretty minimal at best, so doubt it holds a lot of water. If your carpets are actually wet when done, your machine isn't working right.

PS; I have particle board underlayment on my floors at home and have had them steam cleaned for 25 years, both with a home and commercial service. When we ripped the carpet out of the living room a few months ago, there was absolutely no indication of any water damage on the particle board.