Wifi Antenna

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Before getting the Verizon MiFi 4510L, I used a USB Wi-Fire antenna to pull in the campground's WiFi. Can't say it did a whole heck of a lot. If there was a lot of traffic on the WiFi, I didn't see any improvement. But then, this CG has repeater antennas strategically placed. Now, with the MiFi working like it should, I have my own hotspot and it's working fine.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
how much a month.

The Verizon MiFi 4510L has a 2 year contract at $50 a month for 5GB of usage. Plus there are some initial connectivity charges. Our's came with a $50 rebate debit card and we're still getting a 21% GM discount on the monthly. You can discontinue service for 3 months at a time (extends the contract period, though). Since we have cable internet at home, I'll probably shut it off from November until January, activate it for a month, and then turn it off again until April. Unless you're watching full length TV programs and videos, the 5GB is hard to use up in 30 days.

letourno

Quebec Chapter Leader-retired
I am currently using a Ubiquiti WIFIstation which I got from Baltic Networks. It comes in 2 different models, bothhave the same power. The external model has a longer antenna and a longer USB cord. So far the results are pretty good for me. Very simple to use. They cost around $30 each. If I need more power I will try the Ubiquiti NanoStation. Here is a link to the web site: http://www.balticnetworks.com/ubiquiti-wifistation-ext.html

wdk450

The Verizon MiFi 4510L has a 2 year contract at $50 a month for 5GB of usage. Plus there are some initial connectivity charges. Our's came with a $50 rebate debit card and we're still getting a 21% GM discount on the monthly. You can discontinue service for 3 months at a time (extends the contract period, though). Since we have cable internet at home, I'll probably shut it off from November until January, activate it for a month, and then turn it off again until April. Unless you're watching full length TV programs and videos, the 5GB is hard to use up in 30 days.

I use the Verizon MyFi thumbdrive that I purchased from Best Buy for $150 WITHOUT A CONTRACT. I pay $50 for a 1 month, 1 GB service when I am RVing. I have fiber hookup and home wifi at home, and my e-mail address (which everybody who wants to contact me has) is tied to this home provider. Since changing e-mail addresses is such a hassle, I will stick with this setup.

BTW there are plans out on the internet for a wifi antenna made out of an old Pringles chip can. My son used this when he lived in Huntington Beach Ca. in an 2nd floor apartment, with a friend with wifi in another 2nd floor apartment. The only catch was that there was another one of these 2 story apartment units in BETWEEN them. But the "Cantenna" made a good connection for them through the middle apartment building, and they shared the internet access costs on a secure wifi system.