Fireplace Bulb Replacement

Mels Musty Music

I have a DESA Model CEF26BN fireplace in our 2007 3055. I think the bulb for the backlight feature is burned out but I can't figure out how to get at it. Manual says to remove screw and glass retainer clips from front glass but I can't see them. Theres a wood trim piece between the upper controls and the glass which I think has to be removed first but this old mind can't figure out how.
Anybody done this?
Hank

christianson

You have to remove the wood trim around the fireplace then you will see the screws to remove the glass but make sure you have power to the outlet under the the counter were the fireplace is plug into

madigand

I removed the wood plugs covering the 4 screws in the wood trim surrounding the fireplace. I then removed the screws holding the glass in. I then was able to get to the fireplace light bulbs. Just a question, Anyone know of where to get replacement bulbs from?

ChopperBill

Mine just takes ordinary chandelier bulbs obtainable at Home Depot, but when they TRIED to replace the fireplace with the newest offering (another post on that) I saw that the replacement uses halogen bulbs. I have found that a good camera or automotive store can get most lamps like them. Pretty sure there was a part number for the bulb in the manual.

Mels Musty Music

Thanks for the advice. Was reluctant to pry out the plugs for fear of marring the wood but a single edge razor blade worked fine. Turns out I had three burnt out bulbs - one in the drum and two that are up on the top. Didn't even see them until I started putting everything back together. No reference to them in the manual either.
Thanks for your suggested sources for replacements ChopperBill. Will let you know how I come out.
Hank

Mels Musty Music

I was able to find replacement bulbs at Home Depot. Manual calls for halogen type GX6.35. I got GY6.35 and they work fine. I'm sure somebody can tell me what the "X" and "Y" mean. They cost almost 8 bucks each. Hope they last longer than the originals.

Hank