Can an NT 21FBS be "lifted?"

We are shopping for a travel trailer and found an NT 21FBS at a dealer here in Tucson. It seems to be just what we want except it is very close to the ground (we want to be able to drive on dirt roads that may be rutted in places). Is there any way to make changes to the suspension (leaf spring, wide tack, 14 inch wheels) to gain maybe 4-5 inches on additional clearance? Would this solution void any warranties on a new trailer? I would hate to pass this up but I would also hate to rip off my sewer outlet (the lowest point behind the rear axel) or my rear jacks.

jimtoo

Hi poodlepeople,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully to the family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure it could be lifted by a frame shop or maybe even your dealer, depending on his shop and service people. You would need to check with Heartland and Lippert about the warranty. I have not heard of many problems with ground clearance on the forum.

Jim M

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
I do seem to recall a thread recently about someone who thought their North Trail was riding a little low for them. Try a search in the window in the upper right hand corner.
After it is out of the warranty period, you could probably flip the axles to get your lift. I have a feeling it might void your warranty. JMHO.
Good luck and welcome to the Heartland family. It's always nice to see another Heartland owner in the wild west. Trace

Last edited:

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
Here is one thread about it.

//heartlandowners.org/showthread.ph...learence-issue?p=186697&highlight=#post186697

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Never looked under a NT. Are the springs on top or on the bottom of the axles. Longer shackles will raise it some but can cause more stress to the suspension on tight turns. You could install larger wheels and tires and maybe gain an inch. Just make sure that the tires will clear each other. Remember, anything can be done...but at what cost.

The springs are on the bottom so, in principle, the axels can be placed under the springs. One problem with this is you must weld another set of brackets on the axles since you do not want to "flip" them as they probably are "pre-loaded" in a way that will put the tires out of alignment if the axels are turned over.

I spoke to Heartland on this (a real effort to find someone, incidentally) and they say "we can do nothing at the factory." This was in response to my question on whether it can be done at all! They do not want to admit that there is any solution to the problem (or even that there is a problem). Not a good sign to someone who has not yet decided to do business with them.

I am going to see if a well regarded local trailer repair shop will look at this and give me an opinion. We shall see.

PS: the e-mail notification system on this site does not work even though I selected it. I had to discover responses to my question by accident.

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
poodlepeople,

Yes, you are correct. Heartland will not custom build a trailer for you. They build the best product for most of their cutomers needs, based on their R & D. IMHO.

If you want to customize a rig, it is up to you to do that on you own, after the fact. I had an SOB with axles under the springs for a high clearance and center of gravity.

My BH rides much, much, better, with the conventional suspension setup, while still maintaining a decent level of clearance. Trace

Last edited:
We just went to look at the 21FBS again and even with the nose parked a bit low from level, the sewer hose outlet is less that 6 inches off the ground. The stabilizer jack is a bit higher but also behind the outlet. The design problem is the bicycle rack that slides under the trailer. This requires everything to be lowered by about 6 inches. This is a standard feature on all the short TT models so we can't even order one without it and it would be a real problem to remove it and put everything back. If the 3 inches I would gain by putting the axels below the springs would give me problems anyway, I don't want to do that. Those 14 inch wheels (the smallest I have seen on a TT of this size) can't be changed out since the clearance will not allow it. So....

6 inches of clearance will not cut it off paved roads so I guess we keep looking. A shame though - it looked like a good product otherwise.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
HL telling you how the modify any product would a liable issue. This is to say...if they told how to do it..then if something bad happened they are on the "HOOK". If you get my meaning. Call your auto dealer and see if they will tell you how to modify the suspension on your car......bet not. Yes welding a new saddle on top of the axle will let you move the axle to raise the coach. But remember that you are "modifing" it and it will probably void the frame warrenty. Most manufacturers get real nervious and jerky about any mods done to their equipment. They are engineered to operate safely a certain way. Beating up HL because they are covering there butts is kinda unfair. JMHO of course.

As to the email thing..I know a new person to the forum has to post 2-3 times before some functions will work.