Air bubbles between roof membrane and plywood sheathing

Our nine year old coach suffered a complete delamination of the roofing membrane. The only thing holding the membrane were end caps, roof vents and the side transitions. Due to its age and cost of repair to value ratio we decided to replace the coach with a 2012 Big Country 3250TS. The dealer accepted the coach as a trade it but its value was highly discounted. Who could blame them? I had diligently inspected and caulked this roof when needed. During a recent 3 month coast to coast trip to celebrate my wife's retirement the coach suffered no leaks even though had it endured a range of weather from balmy to tornado warnings and everything Mother Nature could offer in between. I had even recaulked a few suspect joints on the trip. Upon return to our west coast home I found that the entire roofing membrane had delaminated from the plywood sheathing. The last week of travel involved no severe weather, hardly any rain but we did encounter headwinds, sometimes in excess of 25 mph. Needless to say my insurance company would not cover the damage and the cost of replacing the entire roof proved to be prohibitive. Thus our new Big Country. We brought the 2012 Big Country 3250TS home last week. I went up on the roof and noticed several areas where the membrane is not glued down to the plywood sheathing. The areas are not large, maybe 3"x6" in size and located away from the radiused transitions and end caps. I am deeply concerned about these "bubbles" because of the negative experience with the roof of our previous coach- a few air bubbles under the roofing membrane turning into an unscheduled coach replacement. What is the standard for repairing/replacing a roofing membrane that is not completely laminated to the substrate?

Urban350

I have the same issues with our roof but was not shure if I should worry about it or not. I guess I should ask our dealer.

Last edited:

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Thus our new Big Country. We brought the 2012 Big Country 3250TS home last week. I went up on the roof and noticed several areas where the membrane is not glued down to the plywood sheathing. The areas are not large, maybe 3"x6" in size and located away from the radiused transitions and end caps. I am deeply concerned about these "bubbles" because of the negative experience with the roof of our previous coach- a few air bubbles under the roofing membrane turning into an unscheduled coach replacement. What is the standard for repairing/replacing a roofing membrane that is not completely laminated to the substrate?

Well, I am far from an expert but I have not owned a coach with a EPDM roof that did not have a few air bubbles here and there. Our new Big Country 3450TS had a couple of small ones when we took delivery nearly two years ago...so far, they have not enlarged or presented any problems. Personally, I think a few bubbles are pretty normal for most RV's. If it were me, I might call Heartland Customer Service and document the issue in case anything more severe does happen and then try not to worry so much (sometimes easier said than done) and enjoy the rig.

Best Wishes!

GOTTOYS

The rubber fabric is simply glued to the plywood under it. In a few places it may not have been smoothed into place and didn't stick well. It's not really delaminated. If it's over a large area they should be able to loosen the trim around the edges, peel the fabric back and reglue it. Be very careful when cleaning and do not use any solvent based cleaners as this could cause a release of the glue. Should not require replacement of the roof. A few bubbles here and there is very common and I don't think I would give it much thought...Don