Hey TV/Computer Guru's

frano

I'm from the generation that used multiplication tables and watched B&W TV. Now I've progressed to this new Edge M21 with a TV and entertainment center, and I've got questions--

1. The TV power boost can be turned on/off by the red button behind the TV. It doesn't seem to do a lot but it does bring in a few TV stations in pretty poorly in the "air" mode. If I shut it off and set the TV for "cable" mode, I get cable channels (after I connected the wall mount cable connection to the TV with a cable). Am I doing something wrong with the power boost and does the power boost have any effect on the radio or computer reception?

2. I'm about to take a real plunge and buy a laptop to take along in the camper with us to do my internet banking while on the road. I noticed that there is a USB port on the entertainment console. Is this port used for an internet connection (maybe with the power boost on?) or is the port just used to connect the PC to the TV screen?

3. I'm thinking a basic $279.00 laptop from Best Buy. I use Word, Excell, and Access on my home computer along with internet use, but probably just internet use on the road. Am I heading down the wrong road with the cheapest laptop?

Thanks in advance for helping the old guy through the modern age. Fran

rebootsemi

I'm from the generation that used multiplication tables and watched B&W TV. Now I've progressed to this new Edge M21 with a TV and entertainment center, and I've got questions--

1. The TV power boost can be turned on/off by the red button behind the TV. It doesn't seem to do a lot but it does bring in a few TV stations in pretty poorly in the "air" mode. If I shut it off and set the TV for "cable" mode, I get cable channels (after I connected the wall mount cable connection to the TV with a cable). Am I doing something wrong with the power boost and does the power boost have any effect on the radio or computer reception?

2. I'm about to take a real plunge and buy a laptop to take along in the camper with us to do my internet banking while on the road. I noticed that there is a USB port on the entertainment console. Is this port used for an internet connection (maybe with the power boost on?) or is the port just used to connect the PC to the TV screen?

Thanks in advance for helping the old guy through the modern age. Fran[/QUOTE

Do not know what model/make entertainment center you have but the antenna boost is only for use when using the air antenna for local channels. Make sure the tv is set for air/antenna mode turn on the antenna boost then turn the antenna to get the best reception. The power boost has no effect on the radio or a computer. In you package of paperwork there should be the instructions for the entertainment equipment to be able to figure out what the usb is for, I would guess it is a input to the system.
I connect my PC with a HDMI cable direct to the tv.

frano

Thanks in advance for helping the old guy through the modern age. Fran[/QUOTE

Do not know what model/make entertainment center you have but the antenna boost is only for use when using the air antenna for local channels. Make sure the tv is set for air/antenna mode turn on the antenna boost then turn the antenna to get the best reception. The power boost has no effect on the radio or a computer. In you package of paperwork there should be the instructions for the entertainment equipment to be able to figure out what the usb is for, I would guess it is a input to the system.
I connect my PC with a HDMI cable direct to the tv.

How do I turn the power antenna? Another button somewheres?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Once you crank it up, you did crank it up right?, you can then grab the outer ring and pull down slightly then rotate it.
And no, the USB port is not for internet connection. You will use the WIFI at the CG you are at if they provide such. Be sure that your new laptop is WIFI capable.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Remember that the camp's WiFi is public and probably not secure. It's speed and connectivity is limited by the number of other people trying to use it at the same time.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Fran, I'll attach a pdf of the antenna and amplifier instructions. They are all very similar.
Regarding laptops, buy what you can afford. The basic laptop is fine for internet and light home use. As long as you're not a gamer you should be fine with a basic unit.

Attachments

• Winegard.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 35

wdk450

That USB port on the TV is probably for a thumbdrive that you have video files loaded on, so you can watch them on the TV, like playing a videodisk.
Do you have a manual for the TV?

gjackson

2. I'm about to take a real plunge and buy a laptop to take along in the camper with us to do my internet banking while on the road.

DW bought what she calls an "Air Card" from AT&T for internet purposes (I think Verizon also has them). It is secure and has worked in almost all the places we've been. The few times she hasn't received the signal she uses the CG WIFI, but never for banking or anything that requires personal info/credit card info/etc.

RonBB

The antenna on most Edge products is a round type. It is omnidirectional and does not crank up or rotate. Push the red button to turn on the preamp in the antenna for over the air signals. Then do a scan on your television so it will know what channels are available. Turn the red light off for signals from the campground cable system if there is one. Not sure about using the scan feature on the television for cable. Please note there have been several forum members report bad connections on the preamp & antenna coax from the factory. Mine was & the dealer fixed it. Good luck. If I recall the USB port is on the DVD/Radio system and used for connection to an iPod or similar device for playing music on the system. Some folks have reported having to change the connection to the back of the system to be able to input the DVD system to the television for playing DVD's. Ron
PS we've used the MiFi device from AT&T for a laptop. It works pretty well if there is a 3G signal where you are camping. When we were in an "edge" area it didn't work as well especially on outgoing e-mails.

frano

Thanks for all the replies folks and a special thanks to Ray for his efforts to provide the antenna info. RonBB is right, my antenna is the round type that does not crank up or rotate. I did not receive any info in my owners packet and my dealer is going to contact Heartland to obtain some if it's available. My trip to the dealer explained a lot of what Ron explained and added another thought. Rather than buying a laptop, I can buy a WIFI connection that will fit my USB port of an old, working desktop I have. I could save some $$$ while having my Microsoft software programs available while camping if I could find room for the desktop in the Edge. So, I'm getting an education and finding that there are plenty of knowledgeable folks able and willing to assist. I'm off to a good start with my Heartland Edge. This site is great!