window treatments in 2011 Big Country

twohappycampers

Hello all! I'm hoping this ladies forum really takes off! Having bought a 2011 Big Country just a couple of months ago, I'm still really excited about personalizing it. One thing I knew right off the top was that I was going to want to change these window treatments :p I love the wood blinds, the light control, ease of operation, residential feel. We put wood blinds in our old RV and if this one hadn't already had them, would have made the change too.

It's the little "gathered-at-the-bottom" side panels of fabric that really get to me! Think they look goofy and cheap. They also allow light and visibility through the sides, if you know what I mean. And the plastic anchor-type-things on the bottom that the panels slide onto, interfere with the blinds operating properly. Getting the impression, are you?, that I don't care much for them? hee hee I do like, however, that the give our home-on-wheels a more residential feel, to me anyway.

Anyone here who has this kind of window treatment and has changed it? Anyone want to brainstorm? :)

jjriker

I don't have any suggestions, but I'm also interested to hear what others have done for window treatments. (I love this new ladies forum as well!) ;)

twohappycampers

Hi Jessica - thanks for replying. Did you get my drift, what I was talking about? Soon I hope to try posting pictures rather than being so long-winded in my descriptions. I don't know if 2011 was the first year that Heartland started putting in these wood blinds and fabric side panels. Do you? I'm playing around with some ideas on what I'd like to do, and think I'm getting close. See ya. Lorna

Bob Vaughn

Here is what I found out yesterday when trying to shorten those blinds. The guy who installed the plastic thingy at the bottom must have left his tape measure at home the day he worked on ours...One by the dinette was 2" too narrow so the bottom of the blind would not turn. Plus all the blinds had to have either 2 or 3 slats removed in order for them to come just below the window frame...without removing the slats they hung out from under the plastic thingy at the bottom.....I guess one size was supposed to fit all windows.......

twohappycampers

I know exactly what you mean! Ours are all wonky too - too high, too low. Not a great deal of care taken. The little side curtains were one of the first things I noticed that I didn't like, that I determined to change as soon as I could. Impatient, much? Those pastic thingies interfere with the operation of the blinds. You're right, I think the blinds are supposed to end before they get to the plastic thingies. I'll have to shorten mine too. I want to do away with the little side curtains and the little plastic thingies altogether, but think I'll wait a bit and put up with these. I'm driving my husband nuts as it is - I'm way more pickey than he is. I've devised a way to like mine better, so that they'll wrap around that iron rod and cover up the space that the blinds leave along the wall, for more privacy. The finials of the rods don't come off as I assumed they would, so it takes a bit of fiddling, and a little cutting of material, but I think it will work fine. I've tried it on one panel already. And I want to bunch the curtain panels up at the top the same amount that they're bunched up at the bottom, so they "hang" straight up and down and not at that angle. I'd love to remove those plastic thingies (have I used that term enough? hee hee) altogether, but the fabric is of poor quality and doesn't hang right. My ideas, anyway.