New member with equipment question

Nic.ross1

We are just new to the forum so not exactly sure if this is the right place to post my question but here goes. I have an 05 titanium 29E34RL towing with an 07 GM 2500HD duramax. I have a 5th Airborne hitch along with Firestone Airbags on the rear of the truck. Normally I keep about 20 psi on the 5th airborne (filled to the black line mark). What is the best press to keep in the truck airbags? Haven't had the bags that long and still playing with the settings to find sweet spot. I keep 10psi when not hauling. Ive tried 20 to 40 psi on bags but still get lots of stuff bouncing around inside. Should my pressure be higher?
Thx. Ross

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The air bags are normally used for keeping your truck level under load. I air mine up tp 38 psi when unhitched, getting ready to tow.
Welcome to the forum by the way.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Check the owners manual for your 5th Airborne. Mine says to run between 80 - 100 psi, with 120 psi the maximum.

GOTTOYS

Airbags on your truck aren't going to do much for the ride. They are not designed or meant to help carry any additional weight. They are there to help level the truck when loaded. That's all folks! I only need about 15 PSI in mine to level it. I've tried it with anywhere from 45 PSI on down. Higher pressure just made it ride harder not softer. It doesn't ride any different if I have 15 PSI in them under load or 5 PSI. Just makes the truck level. JMHO...Don

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
When I had my old truck with air bags, I only had to run about 10 pounds in them to ride level. Much more and I would be nose high. Love this Dodge that I've got now.

scotty

Like others have said, the bags are primarily there to keep the truck from being nose high. Whatever pressure is required to accomplish that is good. 100PSI is max, but have never had to get about 20 with mind. Empty I air down to between 5 and 10 PSI. Otherwise it can be a Kidney beater with the Dodges.

caissiel

Keep the truck spring loaded so you will not have to much movement of your rear housing. The more load on the springs will stabilize the ride much better then air bags. That's why I like to add spring plies on my rear spring as it will stabilize the ride and hold the housing tighter and prevent chucking. One ply on each side will add 1300 lbs carrying capacity on the springs.
So far I get great comment on the riding of my F250 by others, even one man with a small car told me my truck was riding much better then his car in the local roads.

mmomega

AnyTimer
I removed the helper spring and added airbags and the truck feels way more in control (on the SRW) than with just the springs. This was before I bought the dually, so I haven't towed with the SRW since May. The dually stock blows the other away when towing, hands down but I will probably add some bags later to keep it level since it is just slightly nose high when fully loaded for a camping trip.

Also on a separate note, we can add as many springs as we want but fact of the matter is an F250 only has a 6,200lb rated rear axle regardless or what air bags or springs can carry.
F350 rated at 7,280
F350 DRW rated at 9,000.
This is axle rating not springs.