Redefining Lightweight

frano

Our thinking has changed lately--we've upsized the trailer and downsized the truck. It's actually a very good match: :)

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    643.5 KB · Views: 88

PhotoPete

Thats a good looking setup. I have the same edge but am pulling with a Honda Ridgeline. My master plan however is to pick up a 3500 DRW and a Landmark Grand Canyon. I am this close to retiring and traveling around the country.

caissiel

We started with a 5600 GVW, 24ft 5th wheel pulled with a 6 cyl Ranger 1/4 ton and it did very well for 15K miles of towing with fuel mileage at 12MPG.
Later same trailer with 6.2L GM diesel 1/2 ton and towed it for 20K with fuel mileage of 16MPG.
Later a 11700 GVW, 33ft 5th wheel towed with a 6.5L GM diesel and fuel mileage at 10MPG trouble free for 9 years and less depreciation cost then the same gas model.
The same trailer with the Ford F250 with lots of power and safety with fuel mileage at 11MPG.
But now with the 3500RL House on wheels and the fuel mileage is better then the tinny Ranger and the unit is now 14ft longer and 10000lbs heavier and the fuel mileage has been better then 12MPG.
The depreciation on my truck has been about the same as the Ranger because I bought it used and do my own maintenance and staying away from Ford shops.

I meet many campers that will not believe me because they are in the same position I was with the Ranger and the wind pushes the trailer all over the road with their smaller trucks. I can put mine on cruise and travel in any weather and just layback in the seat and hold on the wheel all day. We also have a Hard Top tent trailer and the truck pulls it with better fuel mileage then the 4 cyl Toyota Matrix that we use for small camping trips.
I would never go back to the unit I started with.

To bad we are getting in the bad versions of diesel trucks and everyone has been scared by their cost of ownership, but they are the safesest and best pulling units out there, and its time for the 1/2 tons to be available with a proper pulling engines and powertrain so they could be available to pull regular trailers, instead lighter under weighted and designed trailers.