wallpaper border

twohappycampers

Anyone know if the wallpaper border can be peeled off without damaging the material underneath? I don't much care for it. Thanks.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I took some of mine off in my '08...peels off real easy, just find a corner and peel carefully...no damage whatsoever....

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
We also removed some in our 09 3055. It came off easily without any damage but you have to be slow and careful.

twohappycampers

Thanks for your replies so far - how quick of you! Now I just have to convince my husband - or I could just do it and see if he even notices. :) Oh, wait, does it come off in good enough shape, all in one piece, that one could put it back on? Now, that's just craaaazy! Don't mind me. Lorna

archbarb

When we ordered our unit we chose not have the wallpaper border added. We did't really care for the apperance of it!!!!!

As far as removing, couldn't you apply a hot cloth and let soak for a few minutes to soften the glue, then peel off.

Archie

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Thanks for your replies so far - how quick of you! Now I just have to convince my husband - or I could just do it and see if he even notices. :) Oh, wait, does it come off in good enough shape, all in one piece, that one could put it back on? Now, that's just craaaazy! Don't mind me. Lorna
Lin started peeling ours before I noticed. I like the look a lot better without the border. She started in the WC where it would be least noticed. We did the whole rig within a few days. Sometimes it leaves a slight residue that is easily removed with rubbing alcohol or goo gone. Attached are a few older pics without the border.

OMG, these pictures are before the wood blinds and replacing the RV furniture with residential stuff.

Attachments

• No Border 3.JPG
    No Border 3.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 302
  • No Border 2.JPG
    No Border 2.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 262
  • No Border 1.JPG
    No Border 1.JPG
    43.6 KB · Views: 256

hillsonwheels

Surprised my bride by removing our border while she was away. She did not like it. Once you make a cut at trim pieces with a sharp knife, you need to pull the trim very slowly and at a sharp backward angle for best removal. And, wipe down with a sovent is a good idea.

Dick

clubmgr

Heartland Owners Club Manager
Staff member
Took ours off too. Looks so-o-o much better without it. Goo Gone works well to get any residual glue/sticky off

twohappycampers

Hi to all who wrote about the wallpaper borders. (Maybe "borders" isn't really the correct term, seeing as they run half-way up the wall, but ... ) Seems like there are enough of us that don't like them that the factory should make the borders the "option", and not the plain walls the "option". I tried a small piece by the door where it didn't need to be anyway, and discovered it's not technically wallpaper, but a kind of self-stick plastic with the background being clear so the wall shows through underneath, and then a pattern printed on top. Anyway, came off quite easily just by peeling it off, and left no residue whatsoever and didn't do any damage to the wall underneath. Thanks for all your tips! and the pictures really helped me get a feel of what it would look like once they're removed. I, too, prefer the cleaner look. I admit I haven't done any more than that little bit. My dilemma - doing it without telling hubby and then find out he loved it! Or telling him my intentions first, finding out he loves it, then being stuck with it because I want to keep him happy. Now that I've written all that, I realize what a big deal I'm making out of such a small deal, with all that's going on in the world these days, I ought to be ashamed of myself. :(

dieselsweetheart

If you have to live in your camper you should have it the way you want it. I never thought about taking the wallpaper off...guess I don't mind it as much as y'all do!

RanCarr

We don't like the border either. I wish Heartland had left it off. It's a poor and colorless design in browns and grays. Very blah. I wish it was more colorful and cheerful looking. I see such pretty borders in the stores and online. I may try and peel it off when we get back home.

twohappycampers

Just an idea - if you like a border, rather than going to the trouble of removing the blah one, just apply one you DO you like over it. Maybe the store-bought ones aren't the same width, I don't know, and maybe they wouldn't stick to the current ones, I don't know that either. Big help, hey? Just thinking that would save removing the old ones, and you'd have the old ones as a placement guide. Maybe someone else has tried this already and can jump in?

twohappycampers

All the border is gone!!:) And I'm liking it so much better! Thanks to everyone who walked me through it. The pictures you sent were a big help in being able to picture the finished product. The whole job took me less than an hour. It all came off easily, and the pencil marks just erased away. I didn't discuss it with Doug beforehand - knew he'd argue with me about it, and then I'd go ahead and do it anyways, and then I'd have to convince him that it looked better without the border, blah blah blah Besides, got to thinking that it was quite likely that he wouldn't even notice - and it's been a couple of days and sure enough, not a word. Sometime in the future maybe I'll say something, and he'll say "what border?" :D I saved a piece to show him.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
We have been talking about taking it off a lot. Besides many place I have to keep sticking it back on anyway. LOL it's like it just wants to be removed!

twohappycampers

Know what you mean. When I started with the idea, took a close look and saw how poorly it was applied, then it really started bugging me that it was there. It kept calling out to me :) Funny how many people don't like it, and yet they keep putting it on, hey?

Marge

Yep, I already decided to take it off this weekend. Atleast in one area and then see how we like it.

twohappycampers

Hey there, Marge. Good luck with that! Know what I found? With just a piece or two removed, I started doubting myself. I think because it looked strange with some gone and some still there. And then with it all gone, it still looked pretty strange. I think because I'd gotten used to the border, even though I didn't like it. Only took a little while, though, and I was convinced I'd made the right move. And now it leaves me free to introduce some patterns in curtains or pillows or hang pictures without having to take the border into account.... Now to decide what accent colour I might like to try to brighten up all this brown.

Have fun this weekend, and take good care! Lorna

PS Hubby still hasn't noticed. Don't think he ever will :D Oh, I shouldn't make fun of the poor guy, he's got a lot on his mind these days!

Marge

My H and I tore it all off yesterday! and we love the difference it made.

We have been putting up vintage advertising posters and vintage luggage stickers here and there, we didn't want to hang anything up we would have to take down all the time while traveling and nothing heavy, so this is working out perfectly for us.

It is killing us to stay home this weekend, but toward the end of September I have 10 days in a row off. So we will be going on a trip to the coast then.