light over kitchen sink

twohappycampers

I find the lighting over the sink in the kitchen island to be insufficient. There's only the regular in-ceiling lights on my model. My solution so far is: I purchased what is called a "library lamp" - I placed it on the counter beside the sink and it extends over the sink. Works fine, actually, lighting up the area I need it to. I plug it into the outlet on the side of the island. It looks kinda cool sitting there. I just wonder if anyone has any other ideas? That don't involve my poor husband having to do wiring. I guess my one concern is that with the lamp being so close to the sink, am I going to be giving myself a shock some day? I try to be careful, not having it too close to the sink, making sure it's not top-heavy. Especially I don't turn the switch with wet hands, but I can see myself forgetting one of these days! That might be a problem - would it? does anyone know? Thanks!

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
As long as it is plugged into a GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) switch, it should be ok. Just dont pour water into it. The GFI works as a extra fast breaker cutting off the power encase it was to come into contact with water.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
There are LED lights available that stick on with either velcro or double sided tape. Some can be "permanently" mounted with screws. They are battery powered and give off decent light, especially in the evening when it's a bit darker. Look for something with as many LED's as possible for better brightness. They usually are press on & off. Just do a search for LED tap lights. In fact, you can start RIGHT HERE

twohappycampers

Thanks! How can I tell a GFI wall outlet from the other?

Sorry, I'm becoming too dependent on this forum, asking too many questions before I think it over. I found the information myself by simply googling. And, yes, it is a GFI outlet. Thanks!

Last edited:

2psnapod2

usually the main GFI outlet is actually in the bathroom. Plug the light into the outlet you are trying to use and reset the GFI in the bathroom. The one with the buttons in the middle of it. One test and one reset. Hope this helps.

back2nature

I also have a light on the counter next to the cupboard. It gives me enough light to do the dishes (I never use the ceiling kitchen lights). It's far enough away from the water to be safe and it gives a nice ambiance when watching TV. I just put it down on the floor between the rockers when traveling.

IMG_4407.jpg

back2nature

Speaking of GFI's (this could be on another thread), hubby and I tested every single plug outlet in the RV and made a chart of which is on which circuit breaker and which ones were GFI's. What's good is, it helped me find out which ones to use a space heater on and not blow the circuit. We found that the washer/dryer outlet in the closet in on it's own circuit, so that's where I plug in a bedroom space heater and it won't affect anything thing else.

Actually, I took our floorplan diagram off Heartland's website and put all the outlets on that sheet of paper. Colored the plug symbols different colors for different circuits. Easy to see at a glance.

P.S.: We told our friend with a Sundance about our Circuit Outlet Sheet, and he laughed and said, he just waits till he blows a circuit. Well, my husband is in aviation, and that's not how they do things in the aviation world. It would be disastrous. :)

2psnapod2

Speaking of GFI's (this could be on another thread), hubby and I tested every single plug outlet in the RV and made a chart of which is on which circuit breaker and which ones were GFI's. What's good is, it helped me find out which ones to use a space heater on and not blow the circuit. We found that the washer/dryer outlet in the closet in on it's own circuit, so that's where I plug in a bedroom space heater and it won't affect anything thing else.

Actually, I took our floorplan diagram off Heartland's website and put all the outlets on that sheet of paper. Colored the plug symbols different colors for different circuits. Easy to see at a glance.

P.S.: We told our friend with a Sundance about our Circuit Outlet Sheet, and he laughed and said, he just waits till he blows a circuit. Well, my husband is in aviation, and that's not how they do things in the aviation world. It would be disastrous. :)

I may just have to borrow this idea! Thanks for passing on the info about the plug for the heater. I never would have thought of it.