Skype and Verizon 2 gig plan

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
I have only used Skype with voice calls on my Verizon air card with the 2gig plan when my DD was in Europe. I want to use the video side of Skype with her since she moved clear across the state. My question is, Will Skype Video calls use up a lot of my data plan? Since I'm not down loading data, I wouldn't think it would not be a factor, but I don't want any surprises either.

danemayer

Transmitting video thru your connection is the same as downloading video with 2 differences: the skype video data rate is going to be different from the video data rate for watching youtube videos, but who knows how different (is it more or less) and with skype, you're not only downloading video from the other computer, you're uploading video from your computer. Both directions will be contributing to your 2GB limit.

3Gstore

It would depend but 1 hour of Skype Video Chat at 384Kb/s works out to about 169MB an hour. So, 2GB equals 2048MB/169 = 12.11 hours of Video chat with 2GB of data. Keep in mind you can probably tweak that to use less data, but you'd sacrifice video quality in the process.

SLJKansas

SLJKansas
Thanks for the response's, I still need to buy a camera for this relic of a laptop, but will try a short linkup and see how it goes,

danemayer

I picked up a Verizon booklet a few days ago which has data usage examples. Voice Call with Video (VoIP) is showns as 75MB/hour on the 3G network, and 260MB/hour on the 4G network. It doesn't explain the difference, but I would guess they're assuming higher quality video when using the faster network connection. The example is not specifically stated to be Skype, but is likely representative.