Love to have the kids along but...

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
This past weekend we took TJ (22) and Mehgan (20) on a weekend getaway! I love them both but having them along sure does change the operation in the camper. I found myself lying in bed until I couldn't lay there anymore because they were asleep in the livingroom. Got a cup of coffee and my laptop, headed outside where there was way too many bugs to be comfortable so I went back inside to lay on the bed. John and I are awake early and very rarely sleep to 7:00. We are also not used to having company in the camper so the change in how we operate was drastic.

How do you all handle company when their sleep schedule is nowhere close to yours?

ccupton

Debbie,
That is the reason we bought the toyhauler. We can close the sliding glass door and go about our day as normal. We also get up early and have to have our coffee. Having the extra beds and enclosed garage is great when we have company. Also it adds extra storage. Happy Camping !!!!

PhotoPete

That is the reason we bought the toyhauler.

I apologize for diverting this thread. The above comment got me thinking about my dw desire to scrap. Would a toy hauler be a good choice for a scrapping den?

I can be Patty rather than Pete if it helps here in the Woman's World

jgoddardg

Deb, we give up the luxury of the kingsize bed to my mother in law and sleep pretty well on the airbed sofa. She goes to bed early and sleeps late. We go to bed late and I get up real early. I have to have my coffee, so for us, it is a good trade off. If it ok outside, I'll take my coffee outside and let Debbie sleep. If it is too cold, she has to suffer with me surfing the laptop in the dark while I drink my coffee.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I'd dial my cell phone from the wife's. The ringtone is Reveiille and it's loud. We had my SiL stay with us for two nights once, sleeping on the sofa bed, which precludes using the living room for anything else. This trailer is made to sleep two.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
I can understand. I've been trying to figure out how we're going to work things when our sons, their wives and their babies come to visit (hopefully not all at once!) Do we give up the comfort of our bed and give them the bedroom so that we can move about in the morning as we get up earlier? But they usually stay up later... We will also have to figure out a plan when my mother in law is with us...decisions, decisions...so much easier when it's just the two of us! But I LOVE having my family with us too...just can't win, I guess.

bacaye

When we camp we have one rule...While at the lake, near our home, family welcomed to stay in the camper or go in town to stay in the house?? Bill generally goes in the opposite direction. When traveling on the road to another campground...family members rent a cabin/motel room and Bill and I stay in the camper. They are with us during the day...eat meals at the camp site, etc. but they have their own space in a cabin or motel room for the night. It works out great!!

PhotoPete

When traveling on the road to another campground...family members rent a cabin/motel room and Bill and I stay in the camper. They are with us during the day...eat meals at the camp site, etc. but they have their own space in a cabin or motel room for the night.

This sounds like a good plan.

jpdoggett

We have camped for many years and we tell everyone that the camper only sleeps 2 Mom & Dad, for years we had a three room tent with three queen size air mat's if you want to stay you do it in the tent, They all smoke and we don't want it our house or cars or Rv. When we have friends down they get a motel.

Manzan

We go camping with our Daughter, Son in law and grandson. Reserve a trailer site for us and an adjacent tent site for them. They can come in and use the bathroom during the night. We eat meals together, sight see together or separately. Play mostly together. Heading out Sunday for a week on the Oregon coast, Cape Lookout State Park. Enjoy each others company but. . . . Good thing our trailer sleeps two.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
That's one of the reasons we bought the trailer.....it sleeps two. We love our daughter, SIL and grandkids, but they would not be comfortable trying to stay with us, so they choose to use other accommodations. Works out better that way.

trvlrerik

Adult guests stay in king bed in toybox. When the kids bring a guest the favorite place is the basement (we plug in a portable tv) with bug nets draped over both ends. The living room is like thunderdome, late night and early morning activity allowed.

GETnBYE

I get up, step over them if they are in the floor on an air mattress, fix my coffee. Make as much noise as I need to, turn on lights if I can't see what I am doing, cook when I am hungry, wash dishes when they need to be done, watch tv when I want annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I mail the PAYMENT for the camper every month and they DON'T!

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I get up, step over them if they are in the floor on an air mattress, fix my coffee. Make as much noise as I need to, turn on lights if I can't see what I am doing, cook when I am hungry, wash dishes when they need to be done, watch tv when I want annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I mail the PAYMENT for the camper every month and they DON'T!

That was John's procedure but I stayed quiet (if you believe that's possible) :D Don't say it!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The other thing that helps keep overnight guests at bay is the fact that, around here, cat hair is considered a condiment. Same at home. And they are cats of the evening, they'll sleep on any stranger.

RanCarr

The other thing that helps keep overnight guests at bay is the fact that, around here, cat hair is considered a condiment. Same at home. And they are cats of the evening, they'll sleep on any stranger.

I had to laugh when I read your post. :D The same goes here. We have three cats so you can imagine the cat hair no matter how much we clean and sweep and wipe.

I love camping with family and friends, but they all have their own tents or campers thank goodness. ;) We'd be awfully crowded with even one other person in here, no less two or three. :p

RanCarr

That's one of the reasons we bought the trailer.....it sleeps two. We love our daughter, SIL and grandkids, but they would not be comfortable trying to stay with us, so they choose to use other accommodations. Works out better that way.

That huge 5th wheel in your sigfile only sleeps two people? :eek:

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
Since we full-time and our coach is our home and our sons live in NY & WI (WA next month) and my MIL lives in AR we don't get to see our family very often so we will make room in the coach so that they can stay with us. If they all decide to visit at one time... that's when a hotel room will come into play...otherwise I want those grandbabies as close as I can get them!