Replacing Outside Speaker

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
Went to play some background music at our WA rally this past weekend and one of the outside speakers decided to puke. Looking at it from the outside it appears the actual speaker has a small crack/tear in the diaphram which makes the speaker crackle quit badly.

First...does anyone know how long they are warrantied?

And secondly...can this speaker be changed by simply removing the cover and installing a new one or does the process have to occur behind the wall?

Crumgater

Wish we had known when we were there! Dave's a great AV guy... I'll have him take a look out ours on the ElkRidge and see what he thinks.
-Tina

caissiel

I changed one in 2010 and now I have 2 bad ones again. I have a feeling they get damaged on the road as I seldom do use them and so far everytime I want to use them they are bad. So I just quit changing them out.

To replace just take the speeker of the wall and the wires are just loose in the wall, make sure to calk again properly because the foam is exposed in the hole of the speakers, so a bad leaky speaker will cause damage to the wall.

Also in our unit he dept is limited, so a bigger speaker will be to deep and interfear with the dresser drawers

I had outside speakers on the 15 year old previous trailer. They were enclosed behind locking compartment door and original for the 15 years.

Westwind

We have a West Marine locally which sells Stereo Radio's / Speakers used on high end boats, they are a little expensive but I have a feeling the quality might be better and they might be made to with stand moisture etc.. They have a website so you might be able to order what you want and have it shipped to you if their isn't an outlet (store) near you.

http://www.westmarine.com

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
One of our outside Jensen speakers took a blew also, after only 6 months. Rather than going thru the whole send the defective part in process, I was looking to just buy some upgraded speakers.
Problem is, they are 5 1/4" speakers, which are evidently becoming hard to find. Almost anything decent is 6 1/2". That is going to require enlarging the opening for the speakers.
In fact, West marine says the Jensen speakers I currently have are discontinued.
Here's another place I found with a good selection of marine quality speakers;http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/marinespeakers.html Trace

Last edited:

jmaguire

We also have a bad speaker. Went bad the first year. I am going to call crutchfield to try and find a replacement. They are electronics people with a lot of knowlege.

SJH

One of our outside Jensen speakers took a blew also, after only 6 months. Rather than going thru the whole send the defective part in process, I was looking to just buy some upgraded speakers.
Problem is, they are 5 1/4" speakers, which are evidently becoming hard to find. Almost anything decent is 6 1/2". That is going to require enlarging the opening for the speakers.
In fact, West marine says the Jensen speakers I currently have are discontinued.
Here's another place I found with a good selection of marine quality speakers;http://www.rocktheboataudio.com/marinespeakers.html Trace

I never gave that any thought...figured it would be easy to find a replacement! Not so...I haven't found a 5 1/4 yet. Perhaps Heartland Customer Service can get them?

UPDATE: I think I found the exact replacement at Jensen RV Direct. If it is the correct speaker, they are $11.99 a piece! That's fine with me but now I understand why they don't last! :eek:

UPDATE: Just ordered replacement speaker from Jensen Direct. It was simple and free shipping! Such a deal!:)

Last edited:

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
SJH, Thanks. If I decide to do a quick fix, I might replace with the same one's.
I am hoping to upgrade a little if enlarging the opening seems feasable. Maybe using a Rotozip or dremel type tool.

Sandpirate69

If you really want quality speakers for the exterior, get the Sony Marine speakers. You can find them in the Crutchfield Catalog or at the local SoundAdvise. You may also find them at Best Buy. I have been thinking about upgrading my own Jensen speakers. I don't think they were really made to withstand the beating they take outside. Yes the Sony Marine speakers are 6.5" but well worth it.

SJH

FYI Update: I received the speaker in the mail yesterday! Quick and easy. It even came with a new cover. Free shipping. ASA seems to have great service! For what we use it for, the stock speakers should be fine.