Modifications to our North Trail/Caliber 265RLS

RuralPastor

On a recent post, I lamented about the ever growing desire (sickness) to modify and accessorize our 4 month old TT. I thought I'd list a few we've done, and ask what you've done...we're needing some more ideas:
1. Replace particle board under bed with Baltic Birch (no slivers, adjusted shocks to provide additional lift), added prop stick.
2. Added European inner coil spring mattress...oh, so nice.
3. Removed TV shelf in bedroom, added clothes rod, and space for wireless printer.
4. Replaced vent fan in BR, and added vent covers to all vents/fan.
5. Added outlet in underside of upper kitchen cabinet. My wife really likes this.
6. Replaced shower head with Oxygenics (just go get one...don't even think about it).
7. Added paper towel holder to front baggage area for wiping hands after sewer connections, etc.
8. Added countless hooks, holders, and gizmos for kitchen and bathroom efficiency.
9. Added insulation pillows to unused ceiling vents (for fall/winter usage).
10. Improved the weatherstripping profile on baggage doors by adding 1/8" oxygen tubing behind it.

None of these were really necessary, but each of them has added to the fun of RV ownership. We are not fulltimers, but will spend around 100 days per year all across the country with our ministry. We don't sense the need for more space right now, but want to maximize what we do have. Two weeks from now, we hit the road for another 21 days.

Have fun!
Mark

pegmikef

Ok, here's some other things I did to our NT26LRSS that I didn't see on your list (some might have already been done on yours because it is the Calibur version).

1. Wired the TV so the audio plays through the trailer speakers.
2. Made long narrow drawers for the useless shelf on the night stand.
3. Added sixty pound shock hinges to the underbed storage lid (I think these are standard on Calibur models)
4. Added a twelve volt outlet in the bedroom so I can run my endless breeze fan when boondocking.
5. Added a heavy duty extension to the outlet in the slider so I have a/c power at the table.
6. Added two shelves to the tv opening in the bedroom (my stuff all folds, not hangs)
7. Raised the hanging rods in the wardrobes so a shirt will actually hang correctly.
8. Added a middle shelf to the kitchen cabinet to more efficiently utilize the space.
9. Added a low pressure quick connect valve to the capped propane outletl near the kitchen for a low pressure grill.
10. I also replaced the br fan with a vortex higher velocity fan.
11. Added a second TV RG60 cable and outlets for my tailgater dish satellite system.

I am always looking for space because "stuff" seems to grow to match available space. I have a pickup cap on my 250 so that helps with space as well as the luggage/bike rack on the trailer.

Last edited:

OhioJay

We've made a few changes to our North Trail 32QBSS.

We bought a nice Sony Bravia TV, and despite my wifes double and triple measuring, it didn't fit. She suggested getting a smaller TV, but man law kicked in, and out came the Sawz-all!! I took off the "counter top" from the entertainment center, and cut off the supports underneath, and replaced the counter top. The little cubby area under the TV is now gone, and the 37 inch TV fits. Despite the shelf being attached surprisingly well, the outcome looks great.

I needed more tool and gear storage, so I bought a diamond plate truck box from TSC. It was a scratch and dent, so I purchased it for $80.00. You could barely tell there was damage. I removed the battery from it's tongue cradle, took some measurements, and went to town with the angle grinder. Now, the battery sits inside my diamond plate truck box (behind the propane tanks), along with the bars from the Equalizer, Lynx levelers, cable wire, fishing poles, extension cords, etc. We tow with a 3/4 ton Suburban, so tongue weight wasn't much of an issue.

Of a smaller nature, in the master bedroom, we applied several of the sticky hooks to the walls. They are great for drying towels or swimsuits, and hanging my hat. It's amazing when something so cheap and simple can make such a big difference!!

Just recently, we had a 2 inch receiver welded to the frame of the rig. Now, we use a basket at the rear of the RV for firewood and bikes. It was $pendy, but worth not having the extra dirt inside the rig.

Marge

All who wander are not lost.
Nothing major as of yet.
Put some stick up lights in the big pantry. And we put some curtains over the front bedroom door. It really dresses up the bedroom, and makes it feel extra cozy. We also changed most of the covering on all the window treatments, that sure made a big difference. Covered all the poopy yellowish fabric with a nice rich brown that looks like it should have been there in the first place.

My husband is also going to make those great long drawers for the bedroom nightstands. Excellent idea!

RuralPastor

Thanks! Those are some really good ideas. I am now revising (read: adding to) my list of projects. I had forgotten about realigning the closet rods--how in the world did they expect one to hang clothes unless there's some kind of mini-hanger for RVs? Drawers...great idea. I look ridiculous (and turn a certain color of red) trying to retrieve junk that slides to the back of the cubby after transport! Marge, I applaud you for tackling the windows--the thought of doing something like that makes me cringe. I may tell my wife what you did, as long as she doesn't involve me in the project! Thanks again for sharing some of your ideas with me.

pegmikef

Since the nightstand drawers seem to be a hit, here's a couple of pix on how I did them. I used scrap quarter inch plywood for the drawer, a piece of screen molding for the trim, pulls from lowes and half inch bead for the corners to hold them together with glue and brads.

Attachments

• 100_2632.jpg
    100_2632.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 89
  • 100_2633.jpg
    100_2633.jpg
    433.4 KB · Views: 82
  • 100_2634.jpg
    100_2634.jpg
    551.4 KB · Views: 75