Microwave Door Popping Open on the Road

Jharris

Anyone have this problem besides me.....granted our roads leave a lot to be desired but on my last two trips we found the microwave door flew open and the glass tray was laying on the floor. Luckily it never broke. We take it out now however I wouldn't mind some ideas on how folks are keeping the door latched while on the road. Thx.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Ours never has opened up as of yet. But I would at least put a bungee or some Velcro on it. You don't want the door flopping around open with going down the road. I would also continue to take out the plate.

danemayer

We take the heavy glass plate out since reading the post about it breaking the glass on someone's microwave's door. I'd guess your door came unlatched from the plate bouncing into it.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Dont leave the glass plate in the micro. That is probably making the door open. Our 1st trip with our 1/2 time oven...the glass plate broke the glass in the door and opened it. Had to buy a new door for $50. and never got to use the 1/2 oven the whole trip.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Also....you dont want to know how much the glass plate costs. You can buy a new micro cheaper.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
DW takes the glass plate and puts a small towel under it. Then she takes a empty paper towel roll and stands it up between the plate and the inside roof of the microwave. This keeps it secure and we have not had any issues with it.

jbeletti

Jim and Kathy - you are lucky.

In my last demo coach, I had a 30" Amana convection microwave oven and the glass bounced up and outward, hit and opened the door, then crashed and broke all over. When I opened up the RV and saw the glass, I could not figure out what happened at first as the microwave door was closed, so it didn't occur to me that was it.

That said, the 30" Frigidaire convection microwave oven in my current demo seems to me more stable in terms of the glass as I have yet to remove it. Though the glass has come off the plastic spindle a couple of times.

I agree with the other replies - remove it for travel to be safe or stuff a pillow in the oven before travel. And pre-heating! :)