ATF: MPG - electrical question

snjyoker

we have an MPG 181 and would like to know if we can hook up to 50 amp service without causing any problems to the camper ?

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I dont know if it could be done....but anything is possible. 50 amp's is maybe faaaaar too many amps for a MPG. Something might go POOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOF. The worst thing you can do is let all the smoke out of the wiring.

jimtoo

You would need a 50 to 30amp adapter plug,,,, I have never seen one,,, Camping World does not list one. Now if your an electrician or have a friend that is,,,you could make an adapter and only use one leg of the 50 amp circuit, you would still be on a 50 amp breaker in the park box... but you should be able to run anything and everything. But I have never seen a campsite or campground that has only 50 amp,,, if they have 50 amp,, there has always been a 30 amp plug also.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Seems to me that even if he's hooked via adapters to a 50A service, the main breakers in the rig are still only 30A and that's all they'll allow to pass. The individual circuit breakers on the panel restrict it even lower.

brianharrison

Here is an explanation on how a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter works --> Click Here

In short, the adapter only picks up one leg of the 50amp service, and the 30 amp breakers in your trailer limits the current in your trailer to 30 of the available 50 amps.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Brian

pegmikef

Most of the Walmart RV sections carry a fifty to thirty amp pigtail. They also have 20 to 30 amp and 30 to 20 (i use this to meaure power consumption with my amp/watt meter) amp pigtails.

kb0zke

I bought ours at Camping World after we got home from our trip. At one campground, there was a 50A outlet, a 30A outlet, and two 20A double outlets in each box, and one box served two sites. Fortunately, we happened to get there first and took the 30A outlet. Our neighbor had the 50A to 30A adapter, so they used the 50A outlet. Now that I have it, I'll probably never need it, but if I ever do need it, I'll have it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I bought ours at Camping World after we got home from our trip. At one campground, there was a 50A outlet, a 30A outlet, and two 20A double outlets in each box, and one box served two sites. Fortunately, we happened to get there first and took the 30A outlet. Our neighbor had the 50A to 30A adapter, so they used the 50A outlet. Now that I have it, I'll probably never need it, but if I ever do need it, I'll have it.

That's like most of the spare stuff I carry.