Winegard Carryout Question---Houston Guys/Gals

rustyshakelford

We are planning our big trip to Colorado in sept from the 18-29. We have been mulling over getting some sort of sat system to go with our extra receiver. So for we are looking at doing a sat dish with tripod, winegard manual dish or the carryout. For such a big purchase I was wondering if anyone had one laying around that we could rent for our trip. Would kind of like to check it out in a real world situation before buying one and make sure its the right fit for us. we looked at them at camping world for about $700!

Also, if anyone knows of someone selling one for a steal, it might be worth picking up before trying it out.

We will be boon docking on BLM land for the entire time we are there and will be exploring the alpine loop in the rhino!

If yall have any tips/tricks or ideas let us know!

Thanks

brett

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have the Winegard carry out and really like it. I did how ever install it on the ladder mounting. The ladder mount kit comes with an extra 50' cable and the dome comes with one also. The mounting kit also has a plate that you can mount on the roof to run the cables thru. I did not use it that way. I drilled a hole on the top of the rear cap and ran the 12V wires and 2 coax's down inside the cap and out the bottom. Then dropped the underbelly and ran them to the OEM coax's behind the UCD. I then ran the 12V wires in the underbelly and pulled them up behind the entry closet and installed the switch in there. BTW, the switch comes with the ladder mounting kit. Its a normal home type switch. The system works sweet. Pull into the CG...get the 120V going ..turn on the switch....then the dome finds the satellite ( you can here it moving)....turn off the switch. VOILA.....satellite. It will work for Dish and Directv.

Here is where I bought mine. Good people to work with. CW's price is close to what I payed for the ladder mount.

http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.as...sh-Antenna-(GM1518)&c=RV Satellite Dishes&sku=

cashb

love, love, love our carryout! Dh says it was worth twice the price! You won't go wrong with that purchase. JMHO.

I have used my carryout on three trips and like it so far, I did use zip ties to put the dc cable and coax cable together, for easier handling, I also made up another 50 ft. extension with coax and dc cable as the original 50 feet sometimes was not enough to get out of the tree line. I cut the cig plug off the original power cable and put a two prong connector to hook up my extension and wired a two prong plug from my battery and do not use the power supply that I bought with it. I built a ladder mount for the dish, but have not used it yet, as I usually try to get my roof under a big shade tree. :))

rustyshakelford

well it sounds like this is definately the way to go. if anyone has one thats laying around and they would be interested in renting it out for our trip let us know. i think we will eventually get one, but im having to budget 1500 for fuel and have been spending a ton on getting the rhino ready along with the new truck

brett

Bob Vaughn

I tried to activate and use my carryout today.....I called tech support and the tech I talked to was befuddled as to what I was telling him was on my screen....So I will have to call back tomorrow....

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Not trying to steal the thread but wanted to ask what kind of cabling is required to use one of these dishes?

hoefler

Are you on dish network?? The carry out comes set to direct, you have to take the dome off and reset the dip switches for dish.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
The Carryout comes with a 50' cable and a 50' power cord that requires a cigarette lighter plug. you could do like jcullipher and wire the power cord in eliminating the cigaqrette lighter plug.

We love ours!

Bob&Patty

One thing to remember. You don't need the 12V power left on. Once the dome finds the satellites you can turn the switch off. I did not cut off the cigar liter end. I had a GM cellphone plug laying around and I wired it in and installed it in the UCD. The only time I would have to use it is if I had to take the dome off the ladder mount. BTW, I had a open/empty fuse in the fuse panel. So I wired in the 12V switch to that and installed a 5 amp fuse.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Good info, here. I'm seriously considering getting the Winegard unit next year for our rig.

hoefler

One thing to remember. You don't need the 12V power left on. Once the dome finds the satellites you can turn the switch off. I did not cut off the cigar liter end. I had a GM cellphone plug laying around and I wired it in and installed it in the UCD. The only time I would have to use it is if I had to take the dome off the ladder mount. BTW, I had a open/empty fuse in the fuse panel. So I wired in the 12V switch to that and installed a 5 amp fuse.

I am on Dish, I have to leave it plugged in to the 12 volt power. If I didn't, it would not toggle between the satellites. The Carry out is a single LNB.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I was going to make a comment about not needing 12 volt. I can hear my antenna moving about from time to time toggling between satelites. Love that HD picture!

Bob&Patty

We have directv so it doesnt need to keep looking for a satellite. So far ours has working flawless. The only issue we had in a very bad/high windstorm. The coach was shaking and so was the ladder just enough to make the signal go in and out.

goodtruck

You might want to look at the Viewcube it gets its power off the coax so you don't have to run the dc cords. I have been using mine for almost 4 years now and have not had a problem yet.Just a thought.

rjr6150

After testing and using both units I'm unable to rate either the Wineguard or the VQube superior. We took both to SD. last year for trail both pretty much the same. I did end up with the Qube though as we had purchased it before company I work for started selling the Wineguard.

rustyshakelford

Thank everyone for their input. I'm going to bite the bullet and buy the winegard carryout Gm-1518 on Monday for our trip. hopefully this will give us time to make sure all the coax is good to go.

Thx

Brett

hcriddle

Brett,

Don't know where you are looking to buy but I saw this at Dyer's RV Supplies for $639 today. That is the best price I have seen so far. If it weren't for college tuition coming out of my bank account this week I would be jumping on the wagon too.