Countertop Kitchen Cabinet Detached from Wall (2008 Bighorn 3670RL)

wdk450

Gang:
I am on the road on a long trip and discovered this morning that my countertop kitchen cabinet is detached from the wall on 1 side. I remember a couple of years ago someone else had this problem. I did a search of the website using the terms "Kitchen Cabinet", looked at 8 pages of hits, but did not find the postings on this.
There is a plumbing vent pipe hidden behind the cabinet, so the back for the shelves in the front is about 6 inches from the wall. My first idea was to put expanding anchors into the wallboard at several points from the front, but I may have to find a source of 6 inch screws to mate with the anchors. It looks like the cabinet was assembled to the wall as it was made.
Here are some pictures. I hope someone can direct me to a good fix.

Here is a view of the side open as far as it will go (the other side seems to be holding on).
005.jpg

Here is a sideways view showing 2 of the 3 small screws just going into the thin wallboard that hold the whole heavy cabinet in place.
006.jpg

Finally, here is a view of the open cabinet from the front from which you can see that the back interior wall is about 6 inches from the true back of the cabinet.
007.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Bill, I think what transpired on the previous problem was to gently pry off the molding along the outside rear of the cabinet and then pry off the side panels. That exposes the framing and then you can use screws and mollys to reattach it. You'll have to staple the sides and trim back on after. Mine looks like they caulked it around the base.

I remember the earlier thread but couldn't find it, either.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Could you not attach a nailer strip to the wall and then just brad nail the cabinet to it?

jnbhobe

I had the broom closet come loose on our last trip. About 1/2 of the screws were broke off, I went inside and drilled pilot holes at an angle thru the styles inside the cabinet and screwed it back to the wall. It has lasted for 2K miles now.

wdk450

Gang:
I ended up putting in angle brackets and wall anchors using access holes from the front. It was a bear, but I got it done.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Bill, have you got photos of what you did? Might make for a good .pdf instruction sheet for future reference.