Apollo Oven Tripped Campground GFI

wdk450

Gang:
This has probably been reported here many times. but I thought I would post my experience for all those who read the "New Posts" daily to keep up with problems and help out if they can.
I am staying at a very small campground in the Seattle area that has a limited number of 30 amp spaces and a few more 20 amp spaces. The 20 amp spaces do not have circuit breakers in the connection box, just a GFI protected outlet.
Realizing the limited electrical capabilities, and not wanting to blow a breaker at an unknown location during the night, I limited my electrical draw (water heater and refrig on propane). This morning while microwaving my breakfast bacon, the power shut off just as the microwave finished up. The GFI at the campground hookup had tripped, and re-tripped every time i plugged back in. I tried turning off the master breakers in the trailer, and the GFI didn't trip. I then turned off the individual circuit breakers, then turned them on one-by-one, flipping on the water heater lighted switch for a quick verification that power was still on as I turned on each breaker. The culprit was the microwave circuit.
I then remembered that the microwave gets very wet inside when cooking and needs a drying cycle after each use. I have a small round fan that I aimed at the open microwave door for a while, then put it inside the microwave for about 30 minutes. I flipped on the microwave breaker after this, and the outside GFI no longer tripped.
You probably won't have this problem on normal 30 and 50 amp campground electrical services, as those supplies are normally not GFI protected. But if you are ever hooked up to a GFI protected outlet as a source, this is something to remember.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Bill, you don't have to use the Auto-Dry function on the microwave. You can let it dry naturally or wipe it out with a towel. It will not hurt the machine. Says so in the manual.