ATF: Big Country - Fresh water fill problem

gcd28

I have a 2011 BC 3450TS. I do quite a bit of dry camping as I am a bluegrass musician and go to festivals etc. My problem is filling the fresh water tank is almost impossible. I have never been able to get more than about 60% of it filled (as per the guage) and even then I have to open the bulkhead, disconnect the flex tube from the plastic fill device, hold the fill tube up another 5 or 6 inches and put the water hose in it at a slow pace. I end up getting wet, my storage area is usually soaked and it seems to me that something is drastically wrong. Either the fill tube is kinked or the fill device is just too low. I had an Avion Savanna before this trailer and never once had any problem of this sort. Finding the fill tube inside is like trying to locate a piece of spaghetti. It disappears in a black hole someplace so I can't tell what the problem is. What about a schematic that shows how this stuff is installed and where? Thanks for your help. This happens when the trailer is in my yard and perfectly level.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. There is plenty of good information here.As to your question, it seems that others have experienced what you are. Myself included. When.you fill, it sounds like your vent tube may have water in it. Take a piece of hose and hold it to the vent. Then blow into it to clear the water. This has worked for me.PeaceDave

gcd28

Thanks for the reply.
I tried blowing both the fill tube and the vent tube -- neither worked. Blowing air into the vent tube expelled lots of water out of the fill tube but that was about it. When I put the water hose in the fill tube it just pours back out at me.

hoefler

Water is trapped in the fill line, creating an air bubble causing to burp back out. Take the fill tube loose and pull up on the tube, and support it up higher and remove any excess tube. The tube needs to run down hill to the tank all the way with out any low points to trap water. Do the same with the vent tube. Any trapped water will not allow the tank to vent and fill properly. Another way to fill the fresh water tank, this is what I did on our rig, find the water line that feeds the water pump. Install a Tee fitting in it. Now find the city water line behind the UDC, install a Tee fitting in it. Now find a convenient place to install a valve that is easily accessible, run a line from both of the Tee fittings to the valve. Now all you have to do is open this valve to fill you water tank. You won't have any issue with the water trapped in the vent line or the fill line.