How are jacks attached to the frame.

dojo

I was under my M17 and noticed one of the bolt head broken off on left rear jack. It looks like a large machine screw. Does anyone know the size and have they had to replace one. Another option just drill out the broken screw and replace with a nut and bolt

ncc1701e

Well, sounds like we are in a similar situation. I've got a bolt broken on my left rear jack and I'm in the middle of a 3000 mile trip. Right now I'm using bungie cords to keep it up when on the road. Plan to drill out the old bolt the first chance I get. I'm betting it is not a machine screw at all. Most everything I see underneath looks like about a #10 or #12 self tapping metal screw. Not exactly the size I'd chose for the jacks on the trailer (2800RL). I don't think it will be a problem to repair.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
dojo, if the M17 has an enclosed under belly, just run another self tapper close to the broken one. It's probably been broken/missing since day 1. I've used self tappers to add scissors jacks to the center of our Bighorn and have had no issues at all. Don't use anything too long. Maybe 1/2" threaded length. If the frame is open, you can drill through and use a nut & bolt but not really necessary. I hate those hot metal drill chips falling on my arms. :cool:

Zeman

I had 3-4 heads sheared off--replaced them with real hardware--bolt,lock washer,and nut. Lock a set of vise-grips on the top side of the self-tapper and turn it a few threads to release it on the top side of the frame.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I had 3-4 heads sheared off--replaced them with real hardware--bolt,lock washer,and nut. Lock a set of vise-grips on the top side of the self-tapper and turn it a few threads to release it on the top side of the frame.
Zeman, how did this happen? Any idea?

camr

When we were shopping for our TT last year, we found a brand new, still on the lot, Edge with a broken screw bolt on every single jack. We bypassed that dealer, not because the product was defective, but because he chose to leave the product on display in this condition. There are some small items or issues that can be left as adjustments after sale. Jacks that are close to falling off are not one of them. It appears that the broked screwbolt issue is another one of Heartland's challenges. I keep a close eye on mine every trip.
We are currently camping at Gull Harbour Provincial Park on Hecla Island in Manitoba. Look it up!!!!