red toggle switch

bobkinner

this may qualify as dumb question of the week. on my 2009 north trail near the sink stove area is a red toggle switch which seems to control nothing, i don't find any mention in the owners manual. can any1 help me out?

thank you

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it looks like the one in the lower left corner of the photo and lights up when you turn it on, it puts the water heater into "electric" mode (on 120V). BE SURE the water heater is full of water before doing that, or you'll get a quick course in replacing the heating element. On your tank monitor panel, there may be a small rocker switch on the right side that says "HEATER." That puts the water heater into propane mode. You can run it on both or either. When the propane is firing, a small LED will light next to the small switch. There is also a black rocker switch on the outside face of the water heater that needs to be in the ON position for the electric to work. Once you turn it on out there, there is no need to turn it off, since the red "light" switch will control it.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I would think that the factory would start marking these switches more!!!

Maybe it's a cost savings measure to not label them, but every switch in our rig, except for the ones over the sofa, have labels on them. I agree, they should be labelled from the factory, but if not, it's an easy rainy day project to get a label maker and do it yourself. If you're on a tight budget, a piece of Scotch tape and a Sharpie will do.

Birchwood

May be the switch to heat the hot water with electric.Its a good question as we had to ask the Rv repairman about the propane switch for hot water.Was not immediately obvious to us.