Staying in Non-Campgrounds??

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
Just wondering how many, if any, of you have stayed in a Walmart, Cracker Barrel etc parking lot for an overnight? When traveling, we, sometimes don't park til late but are gone quite early and if there is no RV park in the area we stayed the night in a parking lot. Have you ever had an issues? Been turned away? Recommendations? Comments? I'm interested to hear everyone's opinion.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I haven't, but folks have reported that many Walmart's, or the cities they're in, do not allow it. Best to check ahead. Didn't think you could overnite in a Cracker Barrel. Again, best to check ahead. Best case, local gendarmes tell you to move along. Worst case, you're in a part of town you don't want to be in. In between, there's the possibility of a loitering ticket.

2psnapod1

We've always asked management and only once were we told that the city ordnance didn't allow it. And yes, Cracker Barrel also allows overnight stays. We always make sure that we shop or eat at the establishment to 'thank' them for their hospitality as well.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We've always asked management and only once were we told that the city ordnance didn't allow it. And yes, Cracker Barrel also allows overnight stays. We always make sure that we shop or eat at the establishment to 'thank' them for their hospitality as well.

Then you're good to go!

olcoon

We've done it several times, mainly @ Wal-Mart. Last year while enroute to FL, we stayed in a rest area in FL, and they have armed security there all night. They even had signs stating there were armed security guards at night. I've noticed the same signs in a few other states also. The one we stayed in was an off duty State Trooper, in his patrol car. I know that most if not all Cabellas allow it, they have dump stations, even have a corral for the horse people! Once in KY we were going to stay with some of the wife's family overnight that didn't have anyplace to park the 5er, and talked to the manager at a Hardys and they allowed us to leave it overnight in their back parking lot. I think for the most part it's "Ask & ye shall receive"....or not. What's the worst that can happen, they say NO & you move down the road. You could even ask the local po po (law enforcement), and you'll give an answer & maybe even some suggestions of where to go.

GOTTOYS

I don't think I want to stay where they NEED an armed security guard. I carry a Woodalls Directory among others and always stay at a campground. If we call ahead we can always come in late and pay in the morning. A few bucks a night and no worries about getting chased out in the middle of the night, some freeloader knocking on the door or worse. One of our favorite little campgrounds is in MO. It's run by a younger couple that recently bought it. They're working hard to fix the place up. Their biggest competitor is the Wal-Mart in the next town. If we don't support the little guys pretty soon they'll be gone...then when Wal-Mart kicks you out where are you going to stay?..JMHO..Don

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
When I delivered RV's several years ago I stayed in both rest areas and a couple of times a Wal Mart parking lot. The state rest areas in Mississippi have security guards (liability thing I guess) and the rest areas on the toll road in Ohio actually have 30 amp electrical plug-ins for a $10 per night fee. I've heard that some states limit stays in their rest areas and some sities have passed ordinances against "camping" or sleeping in a vehicle overnight outside of an RV park.

wonka

We have done it a few times, we had a list of Walmarts that allowed and those that did not. We always checked with the duty manager, and shopped the stores. We have only had a few bad nights where the local hooligans thought it was fun to race around and around the trailer honking their horn. We have found that sometimes stuff happens, or we were in the middle of a marathon drive and needed a place to get some shut eye. Most times we are in after midnight, and on the road again by 7am, and I know I wouldn't care to hear someone setting up that late next to me, just to take off in the morning.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
We have always stayed at a Flying "J" without any problems. Its not as noisy as you would think. Lots of movement to not have any one banging on your door. You can get breakfast, fuel and coffee to go when you leave. The truckers are very happy to let you know if there are any problems ahead.

Gizzy

We have stayed in Wal Mart three times since we left home back in June and will probably hit a couple more before we get back home in Oct. Have not had any problems so far and hope we don't have any in the future.

2psnapod1

Lots of great information, everyone! I'd wondered about Flying Js and will keep that in mind. Also going to check out the website from Mike & Joanna.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Flying "J" is not the only truck stops out there. I doubt if any of them care if you park there. One more thing that makes them nice is....they dont care if you run a genset while parked. My only caution would be...dont put your slides out. Some BIG OL truck might come thru in the middle of the nite and remove it and you could be in it. But you could get away with it ....IF you can find a spot way in a corner that does not have any thru traffic or parking spots on either side of your rig.

porthole

Retired
Parking lot stay overs - I set the front jacks down, maybe the rears too (Level-up). Lock out the bedroom slide and open only the living room slide, just enough to move around (less then a foot).
Fire up the Genny and good to go.

rnewk52

We have stayed at Wal-Mart's, Flying J's, Cracker Barrel's, and just recently discovered some Home Depot's will let you stay up to two nights if you ask first, they want you to park in a specific place so you won't interfere with delivery trucks..

WilmanJim

We've been full timing for 8 years and have never stayed anywhere outside a RV Park. Our preference of course as overnight stays are the cheapest part of traveling for us. Then again we are off the roads by 3 or 4pm too. Now if I could get FREE Fuel :p. In our last 16 day jaunt we spent $337.51 in camping and $1336.43 in fuel. If I stayed in a Walmart or Home Depot or Cracker Barrel lot I'd spend a whole lot more going inside. :)