Kitchen Cabinet Finish Peel

Sur

Has anyone else had experience with the finish coming off the kitchen doors under the sink island? We have a 3650rl BC bought in spring of 2011 with the cherry cabinets option. We have major peel on top of doors under sink and chipping on edges of pullout drawers by the stove. I’m wondering if anyone has repaired the chipping of finish. It seems the wood without the finish is lighter in color. What stain if any and what sort of finish to repair, is it oil based or varnish?

Have taken good care with our most loved unit, only wiping the cabinet faces with a damp cloth.... Why is the finish chipping off on the edging where the sharp routing has decoration?

Thanks
Brock

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Somehow, I doubt the wood is actually cherry. That stuff is fairly expensive and not the easiest wood to work. Could be poplar or birch stained to look like cherry (common practice in furniture). As for the type of stain/topcoat, Heartland's supplier should have that information, but you'll probably have to go through Heartland to get it. Stain and topcoat should not just peel off from a little moisture on it, even at the sharp portions of the profile (design). Chipping/scratches/damage from impacts can be colored in with stain pens made for that. Try the big box stores or a woodworking supply house, such as Rockler or Woodcraft.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Brock, I dont know if your coach is over 90 days old yet. I would recommend taking pix of the doors and drawers and send them to HL service with a note and a call in person to discuss this. If your dealer is not far away get them involved. Most of the time, fit and finish has a 90 day warrenty. But if you talk nice HL just might help you with this. Make sure that you put the VIN# on any emails and have it ready when you call.

Sur

Just recieved an email from Heartland saying they would replace the kitchen sink doors...

Thank you Heartland!

Brock

2011 3650RL

Pizzaguy

Bought ours Dec. 2010-Same Problem. Dealer said they would get us some matching stain and never did. Now we are out of warranty and still have the same problem with cabinet doors.Not happy about spending the extra $$$$ for the cherry upgrade and have peeling woodwork.

Sur

Still waiting for the doors below the sink.... I do have more flaking off of the edging of the kitchen drawers that will need to be stained the correct matching color... I assume the finish is a rubbed on product. If anyone has experience please let me know.

Thanks
Brock

Zamora

Anytime we purchase a new rv, my first task is to coat all the kitchen doors with two coats of Varathane. You must use the oil based one as it will stick to laquer. Also do the table top and any other flat surfaces. It is not quite as nice a finish as laquer, howerer it is bullet proof. Even hot water won't hurt it. We did our last rv 8 years ago and it still looks new.

Dianna

My friend says it is just a spray-on stain/varnish. I have numerous "scratches" where the stain rubbed off the sides of my kitchen chairs and on the table top. We also have the cherry woodwork in our 2011 3670RL Big Horn. Need to know how to "cover-up" where the "varnish" rubbed off and where the varnish was not done real well on some of the cabinets. A touch-up pen from Home Depot wouldn't make a dent in all the touch-ups needing to be done, in my humble opinion. Would it be possible to remove the existing varnish and use a good stain then varnish?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My friend says it is just a spray-on stain/varnish. I have numerous "scratches" where the stain rubbed off the sides of my kitchen chairs and on the table top. We also have the cherry woodwork in our 2011 3670RL Big Horn. Need to know how to "cover-up" where the "varnish" rubbed off and where the varnish was not done real well on some of the cabinets. A touch-up pen from Home Depot wouldn't make a dent in all the touch-ups needing to be done, in my humble opinion. Would it be possible to remove the existing varnish and use a good stain then varnish?

Depends on just what the topcoat really is. This link might get you started, but it won't be easy.

http://tlc.howstuffworks.com/home/how-to-strip-wooden-furniture.htm

Sur

I’m still waiting for my doors to be shipped to me from Heartland, will almost be a year :)
I have tried to fix with a pen, with stain from HomeDepot with some success. I would like to know how to repair the finish correctly. I hope in the future Heartland will take more care of the quality of finish on the cabinets, as we payed extra for the so called cherry.
We have finish peeling in the bathroom and the kitchen drawers also.

Thanks
Brock

danemayer

I’m still waiting for my doors to be shipped to me from Heartland, will almost be a year

Brock, obviously you should have had them a long time ago. Call Heartland and ask what's going on.

WilmanJim

Same thing here. The stain pen they sent was called basecoat leather brown for our cherry stain. It's like touching up white with a black touch up pen. Thought about taking drawer fronts off and turning them upside down but the holes aren't centered. Guess I'll look for some more cherry crayons.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If you need to touch up some scratches in the cherry woodwork, go to a home repair center and pick up a Min-Wax touch up pen.
I use cherry for the wood and mahogany for the slide fascia.
I also have the wax pencils in the same colors for nail holes.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Can folks who are having issues post some pics? I have some "rubs" on my cabinets and chairs, but I don't consider them defects, just places where something rubbed against them. Friction happens, in these rolling homes.