Water leak at bedroom slide.

gv550

Hi, new to this forum so my apologies if this has been covered.We have a new 2011 Grand Canyon and noticed the carpet is wet at the front of the bedroom slide after a rain. I can see the water dripping from the interior slide frame so I have cut the side out of a quart can and placed it under the drip and the can will be full after a 2-3 hour rain.I've looked at the slide seal, the top one overlaps the side seal and both are facing outward.The slide is out as far as it will go, no gap anywhere.There does not appear to be any gaps in the caulking along the top or down the side.The RV was built in Sept 10 and we took delivery in July 2011, and is still in warranty. I'm sure my dealer will take care of this but like to find out from others what to look for, maybe an easy fix and won't need to haul it all the back to the dealer.Thanks in advance.Garry

jimtoo

Hi Garry,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I am sure some of our other members will jump in soon and try to help with the problem. Hopefully it is nothing serious. Probably needs a little adjustment. Is the unit level, it not the water will tend to creep inside.

Let us know what the outcome is.

Jim M

ChangingPlaces

Hi Garry
We had leaks in both our slides. A number of reasons, 1) when slide was out and it rained the water was getting in under the flashing tape against the outside fascia. What was happening was the tape was loose and was only butted up to the outside fascia instead of going up the fascia an inch or so. The screws were loose under the flashing and rusty, so replaced the screws with stainless ones and then applied Extrenabond along the lenght of the slide and up the fascia as well. That fixed the problem.
# 2) The screws going up the side and across the ends of the slide were leaking also. They had broken heads on them or they were put in on an angle allowing water in. So I took out al lthe screws replaced with stainless steel along with new sealant in every hole, so far no more leaks. Hope this helps.
Cheers Paul

ptillett

I think the reply below sounds great. I should check it out. I am not that technical! :)

My bedroom slide leaks in the same spot. Through theory, I figure it is kind short compared to the others and does not slope away from the camper enough. We try to make sure our camper, if it is out of level, leans that way ever so slightly. We haven't had an issue since.

I had also had a leak in my bedroom slide. I checked all the possibilities. Nothing that I did worked, until I noticed how the slide was leaning. It was leaning in to the rig. Changed that leak stopped. Seems too simple to be the cause but I have my fingers crossed.