Any thoughts?

JJAK17

To other Sundance Owners

I have a question. Today I was doing some work on the trailer and I was on a creeper on the ground and I was looking in the area of the front landing gear. I noticed that there seems to be a gap between the metal frame and the fiberglass. I am concerned that a little critter could crawl up into the front storage area. Has anyone plugged these gaps and if so what did you use. I think that the gap may be too large to use the typical plugs.

Jason

RickNB

JJAK17

We had some problems with little critters getting into the storage area last fall (red squirrels) I live trapped 6 of them . I did close up some of the holes with flat stock aluminum but they still got in not sure where. I havnt had a chance to look over the new rig 3200ES yet to see if the same problem exists but I am sure it does. Another problem that this causes is it allows a lot of cold draft into the storage area which is the floor of the bedroom area and it doesnt appear to have any insulation. In the 3200ES the storage under the fridge is almost wide open to the main storage area and the cold air comes in through there as well. I will be looking at closing up the storage area and insulating the floor of the bedroom for those cold weather camping days this fall.

Have Fun
Rick

timk

Jason, We had a mouse problem a while back. A couple of days, some galvanized wire screen, some aluminum, caulking and spray foam took care of the problem. Some of the areas I plugged seemed like they should be vented well, like under the lp tanks, so thats where I used the galvanized screen. Knock on wood, problem solved.
TimK

ChopperBill

I have the same gap in my front storage area as well as around the tool box. Fixed the tool box deal but haven't tackled the front problem (quite frankly I forgot about it). I am guessing a couple of layers of sealer or that foamy stuff will do it.

Dogs-Life

I used some 1 inch Styrofoam insulation to fill the larger areas and then used expanding foam on both sides of the Styrofoam to completely fill the area and hold the Styrofoam in place. So far it seems to be working well.

Cooper

I used spray foam it expands and fills the gaps. I used it on every hole in the underbelly.

nhunter

I would make sure to use low expansion foam. I accidentaly used high expansion foam when putting french doors in our house. YIKES

Sundance_kid

Went out and checked my 08 and it seems Heartland found the spray foam on sell at Wal-Mart. Everything is pluged.

JJAK17

I have used the foam to fill some gaps in the under belly of mine but I have not tackeled the other gaps yet. I figure (hope) I have a few months before the critters start looking for a new home. I will get to it soon enough.

Jason

Netem

I have a 2008 2900MK and the gap in the front is still there. I just got the trailer and was also wondering if I should fill the gap or if there was a reason for it. Good idea on the lp tanks.

campntn

Our NT has foam filling everywhere beneath. I looked at it last nite as I was searching for the low point drains.

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
My 2900mk had a small gap as while. I used caulk to fill the gap!! water over spray from the truck was my concern.The underbelly had spray foam that had ripped off allowing critters to enter. I went to the hardware store and got some plastic netting very small squares and added it to the bottom of the underbelly with spray foam which attached it fine.I tried super glue it wouldn't work.Wear gloves spray foam doesn't come off hands!!!