operating the slides?

twohappycampers

Well, I know how to operate the slides :) that's not the question - push the button. The question is: we've been told by the dealer that we should move the slides in and back out again monthly, as we're stationary and the slides need to be operated regularly for lubrication or something. We CAN do it, but it's a big pain! We bought a new sofabed and 2 new recliners, and we can't close the slides without (a) moving the sofa in front of the fireplace to bring in the table & chairs/recliners slide and then moving it in front of the recliners to bring in the entertainment/kitchen slide (b) taking the leaf out of the kitchen table (c) taking down or moving other odds and ends. It's a fairly big operation that we'd like to skip if it's okay to do so.

And, yes, we have figured out how we'll bring in all the slides at once if we want to move, but that's another story ... and one major job!

We really really really wanted these particular recliners because we had one in our old rv and loved it! And we really really really wanted a comfortable sofabed because either one of us spends the night on it every night.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Bull! Our rig sits with the slides out from May to September. Have not had a problem with them. I might wipe the dust off the extended piston rods with a dry cloth and apply some silicone spray, but that's it. The only leak I've had was one of the selector valves at the pump manifold. Those I close after I've set the slides out.

twohappycampers

Thanks for the quick reply, John. Ours will be sitting here for a long long time without being moved - maybe years. Maybe it would be a good idea to just move them in every six months or so? Even better would be if we never had to move them at all, then Doug could skirt the entire trailer in with vinyl siding, like he did our last one.

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
We plan to follow what we were told and move them in and out occasionally. We were gone for a month and left everything out and one of the slides wasn't not to pleased about having to come in...had to push the button 3 or 4 times before it finally decided to move.

twohappycampers

So, you were told that too, hey? Interesting! You may be right. We were told by both the fellow who initially went over our BC with us at the dealer, and then by the fellow who delivered it. And then your experience, that's pretty well convinced me. Thanks!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you're parked stationary for years, then moving them every six months might be advised just to be sure they still work. If you want to get technical, Lippert's CTA in the manual says operate them once or twice a month to keep the internal moving parts and seals lubricated...although they say the system is designed to be almost maintenance free. For long term storage, they recommend the slides be retracted. Tell me the difference between long term storage and living in it full-time in the same place.

I'll admit that I probably move my slides more than the beginning and end of our season. Like when I'm doing maintenance at the storage yard, I may move them. And I did move them this season to go to Goshen. But once on site, though, they don't move.