Help! with walls

twohappycampers

Oops, now I've gone and done it! I tried to remove a pencil mark from my wall with something called Goof-Off. Don't ask why I used that, I'm just brain-dead today. :( Shouldn't try to do anything when I'm feeling this way. Now I have this light blotch on my wall where the finish came off. It's in a very visible place. Has anyone done any touch-up on these walls, with a paint or something, that would help disguise it? Please?!

Now I'll have to remove the rest of the wallpaper border, with that piece gone. Any ideas on what would take the next pencil marks off safely? And next time I'll remember to "test in a hidden area first, as they always say. :eek:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If it's truly a pencil mark, a white eraser will do it. Something like a Pentel Clic Eraser is inexpensive and available just about anywhere that sell pencils and school supplies. Unless it's brand new, stay away from pink erasers. When they dry out, they tend to leave black smears. Even alcohol (denatured, not from the liquor cabinet) on a paper towel works.

If it's a Sharpie mark, all bets are off.

Funny thing on removing borders. The wife got the bug after the rally to pull them off around the stove. Once she did, she wished she hadn't cuz she didn't like the look. As far as I'm concerned, the borders stay because I am not interested in mucking around with a wallpaper project in the confines I'd be working in.

twohappycampers

Okay, admit it! you think I've lost my mind, right? :p getting so upset about a little blotch on my wall. It's just that it's right at eye level when you're sitting at the table. Now that I've calmed down - there are those narrow strips of wallpaper-type-stuff running along some of the seams. I could try removing a small piece of that strip from a hidden area (say behind the sofabed), and apply it over the blotch, it would hardly be noticeable. I could take said strip to a paint store and see if they could match it. I could ask the factory for some ideas? Thanks for listening to my ranting! those of you that have ... hee hee

twohappycampers

Thanks again, John! What ever did I do before you came along :) They do appear to be pencil, because the first strip I took off also left a pencil mark mark, which came off with the eraser. I guess it just wasn't as dark a mark so it came off easily, not like this last one. I'll look for a nice white eraser, like you suggested. I've been doing some searching, and I think it's pretty funny how many people have posted over the years about this "border" thing. Wish I was just one of those people who liked the border in the first place :) But then I'd be trying to make them even all around, and removing the "bubbles", etc. like others.

back2nature

Some borders are nicer than others, I'm glad I have one that I don't mind, so I'm keeping it. It's just dealing with those bubbles every now and then.

Crumgater

I haven't tried any touch ups yet, but I might get out the big box of crayons and see if I could match the color and texture that way?
-Tina

twohappycampers

Thanks Tina, for your idea. When I'd calmed down the next morning, I thought what did I have to lose by trying to match the color and texture (like you said) with some kind of a pencil, markers, or something. I found an eyebrow pencil type thing, in a light brown, that I had lying around. Tried it out in a hidden area, and seemed like it was worth a shot. So lightly and carefully started stroking away, gradually pressing heavier to darken, until it came out a pretty darned good match! I'm happy with it, it's now barely noticeable, and hubby is none the wiser :) I'll sure keep it in mind for any other touch-ups around here. Your crayon idea is a good one, and I'm also thinking eye shadow, you know one of those little compacts that have more than one shade of brown, might work well. After all, this is the ladies forum, right?

And thanks to everyone for taking my concerns seriously. Being our brand new home, I'm still into keeping everything as new looking as possible. I know over time I'll relax. :rolleyes: