ATF: North Trail - Replacement Part Delay

zeus7625

The problem:
The first week of August we purchased a 2012 NT 21FBS from an authorized dealer. We took her to a local campground for 3 nights (Aug 8-10) to work out the trailer and discover any issues before we hit the road.

We returned her to the dealership the following Monday (Aug 15) with a short list of problems. The biggest problem and the only serious problem (as far as I was concerned) was a small leak from the common black/grey drain line while dumping the tanks. I assumed it was a PVC connection that failed to seal during installation at the factory.

It was explained to me that after extensive searching they found the ‘T’ connection had a crack or a hole at the top of the ‘T’(not at a connection). The dealer attempted to seal the leak using a marine grade sealant (I’m assuming they tried an external patch) but after several attempts it failed to seal. Their only other recourse was to order a new ‘T’ from Heartland and replace it. I'm glad the patch did not work as I consider that to be a shoddy temporary repair and not indicative of the quality work I see inside the trailer.

First I was told 5 days, then I was told 7-10 business days (from Aug 23) and then a day for installation. This puts me well into the second week of September before I get my trailer back.

The question:
As I’m sure this is a common off-the-shelf item for any factory that manufactures travel trailers; why would it take 7-10 business days to get a common PVC connection to a dealer?
The dealer explanation was not satisfactory!

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I'm not pointing fingers mind you. But have YOU called HL service yourself?? Call HL with your VIN# and ask them when the part was ordered and when it was shipped. Might have an issue with the dealer ordering parts. Heck the "T" is probably an off the shelf item you could get at Lowes, HD or any plumbing supply house. JMHO

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Zeus, I will tell you from past experience that warranty work seems to be like molasses in winter. I don't know if it's all dealers, but it seems to take fooorrrreeeeevvveeerrrr. I'd call HL direct, tell them your issue, and they may send it directly to you, quick as a wink. I've had them do that!

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I called HL direct and ordered a couple of large items, they said it would be 7 to 10 days for them to receive them and they would give me a call. They called and I paid for them. They sent them out that day. Delivery company said probably be here next Monday, I just had to go down to the office to pick them up. Some times the items are not stocked at HL and have to come from other suppliers. Give them a call and see whats up.

GOTTOYS

I'm not pointing fingers mind you. But have YOU called HL service yourself?? Call HL with your VIN# and ask them when the part was ordered and when it was shipped. Might have an issue with the dealer ordering parts. Heck the "T" is probably an off the shelf item you could get at Lowes, HD or any plumbing supply house. JMHO
X2..Not all the parts supply problems are because of Heartland...Don

zeus7625

I called HL direct and ordered a couple of large items, they said it would be 7 to 10 days for them to receive them and they would give me a call. They called and I paid for them. They sent them out that day. Delivery company said probably be here next Monday, I just had to go down to the office to pick them up. Some times the items are not stocked at HL and have to come from other suppliers. Give them a call and see whats up.

Zeus, I will tell you from past experience that warranty work seems to be like molasses in winter. I don't know if it's all dealers, but it seems to take fooorrrreeeeevvveeerrrr. I'd call HL direct, tell them your issue, and they may send it directly to you, quick as a wink. I've had them do that!

Thanks for all the responses and advice. I was a fool to think I could rely on the dealer. I’ll be on the phone directly.

zeus7625

We finally have closure!!!
I took the advice and called HL directly. Sadly, they could do no better than what the dealership promised. It seems they are at the end of the manufacturing run for that model and the part is no longer on the shelf.
HL called a different plant and got a part sent to my dealer. I still had to wait the 7-10 business days.
The part arrives after the Labor Day holiday only to discover that it was the wrong part! (Makes me wonder how many drinks the manager had before he called me what that little bit of news!)

I made it clear that HL (or the dealership) was going to have to spend the money to FedEx overnight the part as another 7-10 business days was not acceptable.

2 day later the part arrives. It is installed and tested.
25 days for a warranty repair. I can only hope that this is the exception to the rule as there are 11 months left on the warranty.