Do I need a 15k Air Conditioner in 21 foot RV?

joindy

Looking at new Heartland North Trail 21FBS. One available unit has the optional 15k AC unit while others have standard...and less expensive 13.5. Question...would the larger AC unit be necessary to keep in nice and cool on 90-95 degree day...or is that overkill for such a small RV?

I have no experience with RV's so don't have any idea ho long it takes to cool the RV down when you set up.

It cost around $225 more for the 15k AC. Also.....would the 15k unit be larger....and heavier?

hoefler

A lot depends on where you go, how much shade, humidity, how many people in and out of the unit, how much cooking done inside, how much bathing, etc.. While the 13,500 may be enough for a couple, factor in the kids and revolving door effect, it may not be. The 13,500 may run continuously and not keep the temp at a regular level. The 15,000 may be over kill to some, but you have a better chance of keeping up when the temps climb and it will cycle maintaining set temperature. If you are on a metered sight, the larger unit will actually cost less to run.

pegmikef

Short answer.... Yes, 15000 would be well worth the money.

Ditto! Here in Texas, even my 15 k a/c has a little trouble keeping us cool during the day . . . but then our temps have been running in the triple digits for a couple of months now. It is a little bigger, but still fits in the standard 14 x 14 opening.

Uncle Rog

Yep, spend the pesos, it has been mild here this summer, it was 60 10 days ago and raining..........
Today it is 112............................