Broken Steps

wdk450

Gang:
The support crossbar on my steps broke off (the thin metal supports in the metal frame ends that the bar goes through cracked and broke). The steps collapsed. I am on the road with another 5 weeks to go. The local RV parts/repairer had NEVER SEEN 4 step RV steps, let alone have any in stock. Camping World did not show it in their catalog. Tweety's had one for $172, but the bolt holes seem to be in the top rather than in the sides like mine, and I don't know what dimension their 24" wide refers to. They say that their vendor is Elkhart Tool and Die. Is that what Heartland uses??? Has anyone had these welded, and the weak points built up instead? I will call the Factory Service Dept on Monday, but could use some other alternatives.

Northern Virginia
I would call a local welder/fabricator and he could probably get you back in order in no time.

John

GOTTOYS

Bring them to a local welder/fabricator. They will fix them up better than new. Bet you will never have trouble with them again and it shouldn't cost near as much as a new set...Don

Hastey

Oklahoma Chapter Leaders
Gotta agree with Don and John. Welding shop is the way to go. If you were in, around or traveling by Henryetta OK I'd have you come by the farm and I'd weld it for you for free. Free is always the best price LOL. I even have black spray paint.

Northern Virginia
I like the way you think, Rex. I can open the window up a little more for you Bill- If you're travels take you to northern Virginia, I could weld 'em for you too!

John

wdk450

Gang:
I looked up welders in Oregon City, Oregon, my next stop for 2 days. I found 1 with a good online recommendation. I will try that along with contacting Heartland parts.

jpajax

I have seen some of our members at rallies that have a set of wooden steps that just set on the metal ones. Wife had to have a set so made one. If you have the room for them (set mine in back of truck right in front of tall gate) they are the best thing sense slice bread, they make it so much easer to get in the unit especially if you have bad knees. Hope you have success getting yours repaired I to would have them welded up.ATTACH=CONFIG]15505[/ATTACH]0822101332a.jpg

Attachments

• 0822101332.jpg
    0822101332.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 98

jpajax

Will try to get them for you tomorrow with more photos. They are other members have made them they might post theirs.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I made a set of steps using two 5 step treated risers, 5/4 cedar deck boards for steps and a couple of cedar 2X6's for bracing and legs. I made the steps 27" wide and they weigh in at about 35-40 lbs. I lay them upside down just inside the door (which might not work for everybody). Pictures tomorrow.

mnkamper

Founding MN Chapter Leader-retired
wdk450.... had that happen on our 3670 too on the way to the IA rally in 2010. We had stopped at our dealers and when DW went back to the camper to get something... that rod broke. The dealers tech welded and painted it within 30 min.... good thing too as we were going away from my welder and not back toward it!

Ray.... I'd like to see those pics too..... another project to make points with the DW!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I finally got around to taking a few pictures of the steps I built. It's been raining all morning so they're a bit wet. As soon as they dry out I'll be sanding them and treating them to prevent discoloring. The view of the bottom is to show how I reinforced them to make them stable.

Attachments

• IMG_1036.JPG
    IMG_1036.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1035.JPG
    IMG_1035.JPG
    295 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_1033.JPG
    IMG_1033.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 42

wdk450

Gang:
I am in a rural area, and am having trouble finding mobile welders. I found that the steps are both bolted and welded to the frame. I put out a Craigslist post, and might have to haoul the rig 40 miles into "town" next week.
Anyways, I got to thinking about this failure, and how dangerous it could have been if it had failed while I was standing on it (it failed as I unrolled it at a campsite). I think that this is another safety thing that needs to be inspected on a routine basis, like tire pressures and nut torques.
I took some pictures for any possible repair people, so I thought I would post them.
046.jpg047.jpg048.jpg

BTW, you can see how I used C clamps, and 2X4's cut and screwed into T shapes to support the steps. It just so happens that the 1 1/2 inch wide 2X4 fits perfectly into the space at the bottom of the step between the front and the bent metal middle shape.
043.jpg

jpajax

Well here is how I constructed my steps. Cut 2- 2"x6" approx. 48" long cut a 40* angle on the end that goes on ground. 0904111459.jpg0904111504.jpg Then cut 50* angle on the opposite end which is the top that goes against the camper0904111500.jpg0904111505.jpgNow cut a 90* peice off the 50* on the top off this will let the door pass over the steps.0822101332a.jpgNow clamp one side of steps too the camper steps with the top against the camper and the bottom on the ground, if your camper has a block under the wheel on door side too level camper then add the same amount under the step if camper is level just put it on ground , cut 4- 2"x12" boards approx. 28" long, set one of these boards on the top step of camper and butt it too the board that is clamp to the steps. Trace a line on the side board across the top of step (2x12). This will set the angle of steps, now make a line parallel with this line 7-1/2" down this will mark the top of the next step now make three more for a total 4 steps. I then dadoed a slot 1 1/2" wide x 3/8" deep0904111557a.jpg so the step will fit into the side or you can just put a 2"/2" strip for it to rest on. Now you cut the 2''x12'' steps too length so there will be 27"+ between the inside of the two sides so they will clear the factory steps and the top step0904111600.jpg (2”x12”) will rest on the factory top step. Assemble the steps into the side and secure them with screws and glue. Got the anti slip strips at Harbor Freight.Good luck and if you need any help with these so called instructions just pm me. :eek:

Attachments

• 0901111027.jpg
    0901111027.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 12
Last edited: