Texas travel

PUG

Pug
lOOKING FOR HELP IN PLANNING A TRIP DOWN THROUGH TEXAS STARTING NEAR TUCSON GOING SOUTH TO COAST AND THEN BACK NORTH ALONG A DIFFERENT ROUTE. WHAT TOWNS SHOULD WE SEE AND THINGS TO SEE. LEAVING TUCSON AROUND FIRST TO MID FEBRUARY. NEEDING TO GET BACK NORTH TO IDAHO AROUND MID MAY.

LOOKS LIKE A BIG BIG STATE

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
We stayed at Junction, Texas, South LLano River State Park, this past May. This is a beautiful pristine park, teeming with wildlife and birds. A real nice park.
A few miles off of Interstate 10.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/spdest/findadest/parks/south_llano_river/

We found Texas state parks are very nice as a whole. Plus they have free fishing in state parks. No license required.

Last edited:

TRAVELER07

Founding New Mexico Chapter Leader
We stay at Falcon State Park off of US 83, approx 45 miles east of Larado Texas quiet park good fishing and good site prices TRAVELER07

2psnapod1

Texas-South Chapter Leader-Retired
lOOKING FOR HELP IN PLANNING A TRIP DOWN THROUGH TEXAS STARTING NEAR TUCSON GOING SOUTH TO COAST AND THEN BACK NORTH ALONG A DIFFERENT ROUTE. WHAT TOWNS SHOULD WE SEE AND THINGS TO SEE. LEAVING TUCSON AROUND FIRST TO MID FEBRUARY. NEEDING TO GET BACK NORTH TO IDAHO AROUND MID MAY.

LOOKS LIKE A BIG BIG STATE

If you've not been to Texas before there are LOTS of different things to see and do. In Dallas there is the Texas Book Depository where JFK was shot while in a motorcade. There are several markers in the area and even an 'X' that marks the spot on the street where JFK was during the time of the shooting. From there you can see the spot on 'grassy knoll' that was said to be the spot where the shot may have come from if it didn't come from the book depository.

IMG_0006.jpg

Not far from there is a very cool park with a stampede of Texas Longhorns running through it...and also a small log cabin & water feature. Not for everyone...but we will often visit cemetery's where our family or famous people are buried. If you have any interest you can find the grave of Clyde Barrow (Bonnie & Clyde) at Western Heights Cemetery. Although when we were there the gate was locked..but that didn't stop us! :eek:

IMG_0083.jpg IMG_0049.jpg Barrow Grave2.jpg

Down in San Antonio you have The Alamo & the riverwalk.

I know there are TONS more things to see and do and hopefully others with add their favorites as well. I'll be watching as we will be spending some of our winters in the area I think!

jimtoo

My recommendations for South Texas. Follow I 10 to Boerne, TX.(just West of San Antonio) Alamo Fiesta RV Resort is easy on and off I 10. From this park your are very close to everything in San Antonio (30 min) and the Hill Country. Depending on what you want to see and do, plan on at least 3 full days in SA for the riverwalk, missions, markets and other things. For the hill country area, Fredericksburgh for shopping, good German food, Admiral Nimintz museum. Then you could go to Corpus Christi and visit Padre Island, Port Aransas, Rockport area for a few days.

Jim M

pegmikef

Depending on your budget and the type of traveling/camping you like to do, we have many parks and resorts all over Texas that provide geographic diversity and many areas of interest. The two that we use a lot are the Texas State Parks and Corps of Engineer Parks both of which we have many here in Texas. The fees are a bargain especially if you are a senior with the America the Beautiful national pass (camping fees are half price at COE parks). If you end up staying in a few Texas State Parks, then spend sixty bucks and buy the park pass at any state park. It will pay for itself in just a few nights. It waives all park entry fees and has four coupons for a night's half price camping fees. Anyway, here are the two sites I use a lot if you are curious.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/

http://www.recreation.gov/

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Texas is a HUGE state and it takes a long time to cross it, so keep that in mind. All the above suggestions are good but they are leaving out the biggest city-Houston-and one of the most well-known-Dallas. There is so much to do in Texas, it would take months to cover it all.

Historic Galveston island
NASA in the Clear Lake area between Houston and Galveston
East Texas piney woods

So much more it boggles the mind.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Here are some things to do in the Houston Tx area. The Woodlands (shopping, concerts, antiques); Conroe (Lake Conroe -boating fishing,), outlet mall, Lone Star Convention Center; Huntsville (Sam Houston Statue, Texas Prison Museum, Huntsville State Park-camping); Houston (National Funeral Museum, Museum of Natural Science, Hermann Park, Texas Medical Center, downtown shopping and restaurants, Minute Maid Park-Houston Astros baseball, Reliant Park-Houston Texans NFL Football and various concerns and events, Aquarium Restaurant-seafood and amusement park, NASA-Space Center USA, Kemah boardwalk-amusement park and restaurant and shops; well just too much to put in this space...; Galveston, Gulf of Mexico beach, shopping. To sum up this area of Texas you can spend many years here and not see it all. Also as you travel through Texas you will see desert, mountains, plains, woods, seacoasts, and every other type of topography you can think of. It is over 850 miles from El Paso to Orange (west to east) and close to that north to south. It will take 2 days of hard driving to get through it. Remember ... Texas, it's like a whole 'nuther country. Enjoy, welcome and 'Drive Friendly'.

talley

I would especially recommend The Alamo and Riverwalk in San Antonio. Also there are Old Spanish Missions around San Antonio. If you can schedule a visit to Goliad (southeast from San Antonio near the coast) where there is a nicely restored Spanish Mission with a State Park with RV sites. Goliad also played a part in Texas Independance from Mexico. A large force of the Texican volunteer army led by Colonel Fannin surreasndered, following a running battle, to a larger Mexican force. They were marched back to Goliad and held until direct orders from General Santa Anna instructed they be executed. A few weeks later the Texas army under General Sam Houston defeated the Mexican Army at San Jacinto with the battle cries of "Remember the Alamo!" and Remember Goliad!" on the battlefield.
While in the Houston area the San Jacinto Battlefield is located off I-45 between Houston and Galveston. There is a monument to the battle where Texas won its independence, as well as the WWII Battleship Texas. Both have museum exibits. Near-by is the Kema Waterfront with the Aquarium Restaurant mentioned by Jim Gratz. Kema is a good location for a day or evening visit. Sit outside at one of the restaurants and watch boat traffic in and out of Clear Lake and Galveston Bay.
In addition to other coastal areas mentioned is Corpus Christi and its bayfront. Nice bayfront along with museum and aquarium and the WWII Aircraft carrier USS Lexington. Good seafood all nearby the Bayfront.
Once you get into the Rockport-Fulton, Port Aransas area you will find many other site.

As others have posted, Texas is big and there should be plenty to occupy your time. Hope you find something helpfyl from these posts.

Enjoy your visit... Jerry

mmomega

AnyTimer
They've already covered
San Antonio, Alamo+Riverwalk area, Sea World etc
Fredricksburg has tons of shopping, has that old west town feel but both sides of the street are little boutiques, restaurants and shops.
Lots and lots of vineyards and wineries all over the Hill Country ( SouthWest portion)
New Braunfels, "THE" place to go for some summer tubing, although the water is low the Comal River is still fine. The guadalupe river is usually the main attraction.
If you follow 35 north towards DFW you just have to stop at The Czech Stop @exit 353, amazing bakery food.
I could over things to do around Dallas-Ft Worth for hours, I prefer Ft Worth and the Stockyards area.
If going further North, just as you cross into Oklahoma look for Lake Murray State Park. We go here every year, rent a party barge or just hang out, this place is great.
Going more east of Dallas, I'd say stay in Canton @ MillCreek RV resort, this is where we will be having our rally in Oct and it is rated at the top if not the best rv park in the state, if you cruise through there(Canton) on the 1st weekend of the month you'll be in town for First Monday trade days, if you can think of something to buy, they probably have it here. HUGE flea market.
If going through Amarillo, stop at the Big Texan steakhouse and see if you can polish off that 72oz steak challenge.

I feel like I'm rambling lol, if you have any other questions please ask. I'm still learning about new places as well, TX is huge with so much to do.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Texas is sooo diverse, it's hard to say what the "must sees" are. Near San Antonio off I-35 also is Natural Bridge Caverns, an underground natural wonder with amazing formations and mineral creations.

If you head east towards Louisiana, Caddo Lake is a unique place to visit, one of the very few natural lakes in Texas. Full of marshland and swamplike, a departure from the commercialized world.

If you are near Amarillo, there's Palo Duro Canyon, second only to the Grand Canyon in Arizona. During certain times of the year they perform a musical called "Texas" at the open-air amphitheater there.

Also near Amarillo on I-40 is Cadillac Ranch, where an eccentric millionaire had a number of old cadillacs buried in the ground at an angle, in a row. It's just off the highway, and you are welcome to walk out to them, climb on them, and even add grafitti to them!

If you're a football fan, go see the new Cowboys stadium in Arlington. They give tours, I am not sure the price. But an anazing piece of architecture, as big as the Cowboys Owners ego!

Hope these help!

lorax

Coming from Tucson, visit the Chiricahua National Monument south and east of Wilcox, Az . Rockhound State Park in Deming, NM is a great stop. As a past volunteer at Big Bend National Park, I must recommend it to you. Early March is a good time to visit Big Bend. On the way to Big Bend drive the River Road from Presidio, TX to Lajatas, TX. Travel through Marathon to Seminole Canyon near Del Rio. Continue south along the Rio and stop here and there. Head toward North Padre Island and east to Aransas NWR. The whooping cranes are there. Best viewing from a boat. Head north to San Antonio, etc.
Have a great trip.
Ted

2psnapod1

Keep it coming, everyone! I keep a spreadsheet of all the great places were hear about and must visit when Michael retires next year! We'll be busy for a LONG time!

Firerad1

By all means, keep it coming! We plan on picking up our 3585 in January and point south until we thaw. It will be our first trip through Texas, or much of the U.S. now that I think about it. We're taking lots of notes.

2psnapod1

We've traveled quite a bit...but this beautiful country of ours has so much to see and do!!

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
We've been having spectacular weather here for the last few days. Cold in the morning-not freezing- and then mid 60's during the day. Not a cloud in the sky. About as good as it gets in Texas.