Opinions on a Sundance XLT 287Rl

alageezer

We are shopping for a fifth wheel, and this model is one of two I'm considering. Tell me why I should buy this one. Asked the same question on the SOB forum.

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Re: Opinionsw on a Sundance XLT 287Rl

Because Heartland builds a great RV and stands behind them.

loafer

Re: Opinionsw on a Sundance XLT 287Rl

Well we dont have the 287 but we do have a 24/5 for 2 years now and have about 17,000 miles on it. We did a x-Canada and USA tour last year and have had no problems so far.We shopped alot and chose the Sundance fo r good value for the dollar. Not a high end unit but very functional and would buy another one.The DW already has her eyes on a 2900 MK Sundance for us in the future .
Yes we would recommend and buy another one.
Bill

J

Jim_Hickey

The 287RL has been our #1 selling XLT for a couple of years now. The new 277RL has passed the 287RL for number 1, but the 287RL has maintained the #2 spot. It is light weight, well laid out and built by Heartland. It is a great choice for any RV shopper today.

mesteve

We have a 285BH, and while it is true that it does not have all the bells and whistles of the more expensive trailers, it also does not carry the price tag either. We are also able to pull it with a 2010 F-150 and be within 200lbs of all of the weight ratings.

Even though many companies say 1/2 ton towable, most are not when you get down into the real numbers. You dont mention what your tow vehicle is, but do the math on the ACTUAL payload capability of your truck before making a final decision.

alageezer

Excellent answers for the most part. Now, the next question, how close do these units come to the published weights in the brochures?

The reason I ask, the brochure I have (early 11 model with no wardrobe slide) shows an empty weight of 7180 and pin of 1440. If we buy this unit, it will be the newer model. We currently carry about 12-1500 lbs in the tt, which should remain about the same. But, and this is why I'm asking, I need to allow for a utility trailer of about 15-1700 lbs I'll be towing behind it. I want to stay under 11k lbs. I'm towing with a 2500HD Ram with the Cummins.

mesteve

Remember that your utility trailer is roughly a NEGATIVE 100 pounds off your pin weight by the time you figure 10% tongue weight and he shorter distance from axle to bumper than axle to pin.