Diesel or Gas?

JeremyN

Got a question for everyone. This past year, we bought a 2011 North Trail 28BRS and we absolutely love the camper. My truck is a 2000 GMC 1500 and it is working fine to pull my trailer for now. In the next 6 months or so, I would like to invest in a GMC 2500HD to pull the camper though.

So my question for all you experienced campers is.................... Gas or Diesel?

From looking around over the last few months, gas trucks are much cheaper than the diesel trucks. Many guys that have deisel's have told me that they are more expensive to maintain, but if I spend the extra money to get one, I won't ever regret it. Most all the diesel guys I talk to said they love their Duramax and won't ever let them go.

I also talked to another guy with a 6.0L in his truck and he said it has more than enough pulling power for his camper. He also loves his truck and said he finds no need at all to go to a diesel.

I am looking at 2 trucks right now. One is a 2006 GMC 2500 crew cab with the Duramax/Allison combo. The truck has 74,000 miles on it and it is in perfect shape. No defects at all. The guy used this truck to pull around his 4 place enclosed snowmobile trailer in the winter.

The other is a 2007 GMC 2500 crew cab with the 6.0L. This truck has 41,000 miles on it and is thousands less than the diesel above. This is also in perfect shape and the guy towed nothing more than a 14ft enclosed trailer with it.

Right now, I am only getting about 7.8mpg with my truck while I am pulling the camper. Will either of these heavy duty trucks get any better gas mileage?

In your opinion, what should I go for?

Thanks in advance.

Jellystone

My advice to you, go with a diesel truck. Your fuel mileage will increase and if you ever decide (down the road) to purchase a bigger trailer, you will already have a strong tow vehicle.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I think that you need to talk to someone that has gone from a gasser to a diesel. Only they can tell you the real comparison. If you have only owned one you can not make a comparison. When my bro had a TT he went from a gasser to the diesel and never regretted it.
You will get better fuel mileage with the diesel then the 7.8 you are now getting.
And if you ever decide to go to a larger unit, say a fifth wheel, you wont have to get another truck.
Personally, for towing I would have nothing but a diesel. But that is just my opinion.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

My 2011 Sierra 3500 Duramax/Alison gets between 10 and 13 mpg towing 15,000 pounds of Landmark 5th wheel. 13 on level highways with no wind. 10 in hilly or mountain areas. Easily handles the steepest mountain roads, both up and down. When not towing, I'll get close to 19 mpg at 70mph on the interstate. Towing your North Trail should fall somewhere in between, with a new truck - probably less with an older truck.

I originally thought I would get a gas engine but my friends explained that the diesel not only does a better job towing, but also holds value better over the years, so the extra cost of the diesel is returned to you at resale.

If there is any possibility of your getting a large 5th wheel in the future, also spend the extra $1000 to go to a 3500 instead of 2500. The engine and transmission are the same, and thus towing capacity is the same, but the beefier suspension and rear axle in the 3500 will handle much higher payload (vertical load) that is common with larger 5th wheels.

funntheson

I originally thought I would get a gas engine but my friends explained that the diesel not only does a better job towing, but also holds value better over the years, so the extra cost of the diesel is returned to you at resale.

If there is any possibility of your getting a large 5th wheel in the future, also spend the extra $1000 to go to a 3500 instead of 2500. The engine and transmission are the same, and thus towing capacity is the same, but the beefier suspension and rear axle in the 3500 will handle much higher payload (vertical load) that is common with larger 5th wheels.

I totally agree with Dan on this one (other than the brand of truck, haha). Don't compare the number of miles on a used diesel versus a used gas engine, because the diesel engine should give you a lot more miles in the long run.

grizzlygiant

I would never go back to a gasser. The low end torque in my diesel is awesome; I think the truck could climb a tree.

lmcclure

1st Tennessee Member#1084
Had a 1500 Ram and went to a F250 6.0. Mileage on the Ram 7.3 mpg towing a smaller 27' TT. 13.0 mpg towing a 3200 Sundance. I will never go back.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
For towing anything you should go with a 2500HD D/A to start. Had an 04 1500 and needed a bigger truck. Bought an 05 2500HD D/A. The fuel milage was better with HD than the 1500 even in town. We have a 07 2500HD D/A now and it pulls the Horn like its not there. We get between 10-13 pulling. Took a trip last year from Calif to Montana and averaged 11.7 MPG and its all up hill from Calif to Montana. BTW, the Horn weighs in at 14K.

JeremyN

This is definitely the responses that I thought I was going to get. So here is my next question. I have a work car, so the only time that I am driving my truck is when I am pulling my camper or when I am cutting lawn for a few people and have my utility trailer hooked up.

Would any of you guys be afraid of buying a Duramax with over 100,000 miles on it? I am a die-hard GM guy, so I am really only looking at the GM trucks. There are a few dealerships around my area that have 2003-2006 era diesels with about 100,000 to 125,000 miles on them. They are selling somewhere between $18,000 to $24,000.

Would this be something you would consider?

Also, my wife and I have a goal that in about 5-6 years, we would like to get a Bighorn trailer, so yes, we will eventually be going into the 5th wheel models.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jeremy, 100K is not alot of miles....IF the truck has been maintained. Get an 05 or newer. They all have the new style injectors. More HP and torque than the "1" engine. Those prices seem a little high to me. I got 21K for my 05 2500 HD C/C, with 17K miles and had almost every option known to man. You should be able to find a loaded 07 OBS for about 27K. Thats what I was offered for mine. I said no way but I dont want to sell it. Go on Kelly Blue book or NADA and see what trucks are selling for.

Last edited:

olcoon

When we bought our Elk Ridge 27RLSS last year, we had a 2003 2500 HD Chev w/6.0 gas engine. Around MO it did OK, didn't really have any problems towing the 5er. The best mileage we got on it while towing was a trip from KC to Branson, 8.3mpg for the round trip. In Oct last year we bought a 2010 Dodge 2500 HD Ram with the 6.7 Cummins. What a difference!!! In Dec. we went from KC to Florida, the best mileage pulling it was 12.5, and that remains the top mileage, so far. We are work camping in CO for the summer, and my mileage (not towing) has been increasing all summer. We recently went from the Denver area almost to Grand Junction, which is across the state. Didn't stay on I-70 all the time and this was mountain driving. For the round trip we averaged 22mpg. Before we came out here my average non towing mpg was around 18mpg. I have found out that the "sweet spot" is 65mph or around 1700 rpm. A friend of mine bought a 2005 Ram and was told that the mileage would really increase when he got around 30,000 miles on it, and it did increase. I've got a little over 20,000 and my mileage is increasing. Real curious as to what mileage I'll get going home in Oct.

My feeling is that if you are planning on getting a 5th wheel to do one of 2 things. Get the best truck you can afford now (new diesel), or plan on when you get the 5er buying a truck to tow it then. If you have it in your plans to get a 5er in 5 years, what kind of condition will a used truck, that you buy now, be in, in 5 years?

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Jeremy,

I guess by now you have the picture - Nothing tows better or last longer than a Diesel. I have an '05 2500 HD and it has 180K and it shows no signs of slowing down - actually my mileage got better around 80K ... the Joke is it takes 250K for a "smoker" (diesel) to get broke in ..

Kevin

jnbhobe

Even if you are looking for one of them Chebby trucks, do your self a big favor and get the DIESEL !!!

caissiel

My only gas tow trucks were Rangers 1/4 tons and to tell you the truth I get better mileage with my F250 then I ever got with the V6's. I use to tow a 24ft camper 5600Lbs and now get better mileage with a 15500Lbs Big Country. My Cousin is getting himself a 2008 F350 SRW and has a 24ft 5th wheel and I told him to get a proper trailer to suit his truck an he will not regret the move for more comfort. I have many friends with smaller trailers pulled with gassers and we just leave them in the dust.

I would rather buy a used Diesel than buying a new gasser any day. Usually higher mileage Diesels have been rebuild anyway, like brakes, shocks, and tires, and the diesel owner usualy has more interest in his investment then a gasser, and if run hard they can take the abuse well. The Diesel models are usually loaded and very well suited for comfort. I bought mine as an industrial lease return, and I would do it again in a heartbeat like my cousin is also doing.

One of my friend had a GM 6.0L and after towing a small trailer for a few years had to change both exhaust manifold, I would improve the exhaust as soon as I would own a gasser.

TedS

I traded my 04 2500HD Duramax with 105k on it and it was still pulling strong, running good. Maintenance is key. Wanted the weight capacity of a 1-ton, nothing wrong with the 04.

loafer

Just went from a 1999 silverado crew cab dually with a 7.3 ltre.( 454) gasser to a 2007 2500HD D/A. we were towing a 24/5 sundance 5 ver with both trucks and I can honestly say that you wont beleive the difference going to diesel. We now go up hills without having to watch the gas gauge going down faster than the heat gauge was going up.What a huge difference we also have tow haul which controls your speed and is a lot kinder on the braking system going downhill.There is a dealer in WI that handles nothing but trucks cant remember the name but Cookie(Dave) on the forum knows who I am talking about. They had some low mileage trucks when I was looking .Yes diesels are a premium when you buy them but if they are cared for (changing filters is crucial) then you can expect longevity and a good return when you move up .
Just my .02 cents worth
good luck Bill

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
There is a dealer in WI that handles nothing but trucks cant remember the name but Cookie(Dave) on the forum knows who I am talking about.
Lenz Trucks in Fond du Lac. They do have a boat load of trucks to choose from.
Living is O-burg, it is just a short ride to get there.

Peace
Dave

dieselsweetheart

When Jim's parent's got stuck pulling their Avion TT (I think it's about 38 foot) up a hill (about 50 degrees) in a campground, Jim was able to pull it up and then some with his Dodge diesel. Talk about POWER!