Pine Pitch

Rodbuster

I guess it goes with the territory, when you are camping out in the woods.
What are some good ways of removing "pine pitch droppings" from your truck without hurting the finish?
I guess the same question would apply to any camping gear, including the RV.

Thank you
Rodbuster

RAHanock

We keep a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol in the trailer for this. It works well while the pitch is still sticky. You may need a little elbow grease if it has become not sticky.

hoefler

Goo Gone or mineral spirits. I have not tried it myself, but I have heard LA's Totally Awesome cleaner will as well.

recumbent615

Founding MA Chapter Leader-retired
Goo Gone or mineral spirits. I have not tried it myself, but I have heard LA's Totally Awesome cleaner will as well.

Keep in mind that both Goo Gone and Mineral Spirits will work - both will remove the Wax in the affected area - be sure to rinse well and apply a coat of wax after you clean up. I have also used automotive tar remover but found goo gone worked better.

Has anyone found a product to remove the sap from the rubber roof on the camper? I've not tried to use any of these products up there - would they harm the rubber?

Kevin

Gaffer

I have always used butter to remove from my hands. Not sure if I would use it on the RV roof though. Also have good luck removing stuff with WD40.

brianharrison

Keep in mind that both Goo Gone and Mineral Spirits will work - both will remove the Wax in the affected area - be sure to rinse well and apply a coat of wax after you clean up. I have also used automotive tar remover but found goo gone worked better.

Has anyone found a product to remove the sap from the rubber roof on the camper? I've not tried to use any of these products up there - would they harm the rubber?

Kevin

Do not use any petroleum distillate product (most of Goo Gone products) on EPDM roofs. Here is a document I found on the internet from Dicor.

I am also suspect about mineral spririts and EPDM - compatability charts say bad things about mineral spirits and EPDM --> Link to EPDM Compatibility Chart

Attachments

• Truth About EPDM Rubber Roofs.pdf
    49.5 KB · Views: 21

TandT

Founding Utah Chapter Leaders-Retired
Camco rubber roof cleaner, purchased at Walmart seems to be a good enzyme type cleaner for any purpose on the rig. I have had decent luck with it without harming the finish. It does require some elbow grease at times.

caissiel

I have tried to clean a fender that was fill with old tree pitch to install on an other car and I tried everything including gas and the only thing that removed it was the Turtle Wax Wash/Wax liquid pure on a rag, that I have been using since then to remove everything on my vehicles including the camper.

f250dieseldad

I park my truck under a pine tree(because I have to). I have found that regular household ammonia takes off pine pitch.

Nail polish remover. I use cotton balls to apply it. Works on autos, kids hair, hands, feet, lawn furniture and have not had a problem with removing paint. Have not tried on a rubber roof.