Need some of your thoughts

Rodbuster

The wife and I decided to purchase a generator for our 2012 Key Largo.
I am looking for your thoughts and ideas on what I need to do. My unit is pre-wired, whatever that means. This is what I know.... I know that the front compartment is boxed in with steel walls and has a square steel frame (about 2 feet square) attached to the floor rising up about 3 or 4 inches from the floor. There is a wire harness with a connector also in this compartment. I also know that there is a generator switch inside the RV in the cabinet where all the other switches are. Well, that's all I know.

What puzzels me is that I have received 3 quotes from 3 different dealerships on what it would cost me to have them purchase and install the generator. The range difference with these quotes is "over" $1600.00. That is not a typo.... $1600.00
I'm telling them all the same thing. Onan 5500 and fueled by propane. Thet all know that the RV is pre-wired.
One dealership was talking about "fuel supply" another dealer was talking about a special exhaust system and yet another dealer was telling me that the exhaust system was built in.
Don't know who to trust.

Another note on the exhaust system. "IF" the exhaust system is built in, wouldn't that make that front compartment get really hot, and wouldn't some of that heat and exhaust find it's way into the bedroom that is directly above it?

Thank you in advance.
Rodbuster

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
I purchased mine with a gen set installed from the factory. I also have the Onan 5500, supplied by propane. the gen set is installed in a steal box. Something like your home Air Duct. I made many of the same style boxes while I was working in the Heating industry. The get set is hooked up to the power box in that compartment. The exhaust used is a pipe that comes out of the bottom of the gen set and runs for about 6 feet directly center of the coach and then turns a 90 and stops near the basement compartment door. No other venting is needed. So the Exhaust is built in. Just needs a exhaust pipe.

Hope this helps.

branson4020

Icantre Member
Steps involved in installing the Onan 5500 - If I've missed something I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me.

1. Prep the compartment.
Cut holes in floor for cooling air intake and exhaust, for connection of tailpipe to muffler (which is built-in to generator), and for gas piping. Cut holes in side of generator enclosure for 120V cabling, for 12V cabling to battery, and for remote start harness (supplied with generator.) Install any additional sound insulation required.

2. Install gas piping.
Tee into existing gas line and provide piping to generator compartment.

3. Install generator in compartment.
Installer to supply cables as necessary. Make 12V connections to battery and ground. Connect 120V cables to 50A circuit breakers (supplied as part of generator prep from factory.) Connect and test propane gas supply line. Connect remote start harness (supplied.)

4. Install exhaust pipe.
Installer to supply necessary piping and hangars.

That should be pretty much all it takes. I did my own, but it wasn't an Onan so some details differed slightly.

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Steps involved in installing the Onan 5500 - If I've missed something I'm sure someone will chime in and correct me.

1. Prep the compartment.
Cut holes in floor for cooling air intake and exhaust, for connection of tailpipe to muffler (which is built-in to generator), and for gas piping. Cut holes in side of generator enclosure for 120V cabling, for 12V cabling to battery, and for remote start harness (supplied with generator.) Install any additional sound insulation required.

2. Install gas piping.
Tee into existing gas line and provide piping to generator compartment.

3. Install generator in compartment.
Installer to supply cables as necessary. Make 12V connections to battery and ground. Connect 120V cables to 50A circuit breakers (supplied as part of generator prep from factory.) Connect and test propane gas supply line. Connect remote start harness (supplied.)

4. Install exhaust pipe.
Installer to supply necessary piping and hangars.

That should be pretty much all it takes. I did my own, but it wasn't an Onan so some details differed slightly.

Bob, you didn't miss a thing, want a job? LOL

For a pre-wire you should be looking at no more than 5-6 hours. Even at $110 per hour, that's not $1600. We just did an install on one that wasn't pre-wired (it did have a compartment done however) and it wasn't even close to $1600 in labor. I suspect that they don't do many generator installs. You'll need an exhaust pipe that will work with your frame, they're all a little different as to where the best exit is. Other than that, piece of cake.

brianharrison

I am just about to do this install myself. Here is the generator I was going to install - Cummins Onan 5500 LP Generator Link. Not sure if I need the model with the HACR breaker? (still researching)

If you look at the accessories (page 3/4 of the Specification Sheet) it references Tail Pipe kits - not sure if the 22" or the 26" is needed for our installations (Landmark prewired). Can someone post a picture with dimensions?

Brian

slmayor

Founding California Northern Chapter Leader
Ok, I went back and re-read the original post. For some reason I thought you were talking about $1600 labor. sorry!
But the price difference is pretty explainable as well. Unless you are a Cummins dealer, we're all buying from one of 3 distributors. Depending on the volume of business you do with a particular distributor, you get varying degrees of "discounts" or buying levels. At the higher levels, you might not pay any shipping either. The bigger volume dealers, or those set up at a high enough level (very high) to buy direct will have more margin to be able to discount the list price. The food chain goes downhill from there. A small dealer may actually be offering you a better deal as the margins will be much smaller, but they may want to keep the shop busy. It does pay to shop around.

Okieman

I have a 2011 Landmark Grand Canyon with the generator prep. I didn't really want a generator under the bedroom and running one on propane is expensive, also want the propane available for heating and cooking. I looked at the gasoline generators but already have to deal with propane for the RV and Diesel for my Duramax. I started looking a Diesel generators but the prices were outlandish. I next looked at Diesel generators from China. One had bad reviews, the other one nothing but good reviews. I ended up buying a GT Power Silent Diesel Generator. Silent equals 64db at 7 meters (23 feet). Cost of the generator was $999 plus $260 for truck frieght shipping. I have had it for over a year now and it has performed great. It is 6000 watts peak and 5500 watts continous. I have ran both A/C units together off of it with no problem. It has a cyclinder heater for cold weather starts and a keyring remote start. Although it has wheels the unit is not portable, weighs around 350 pounds. I had it in the back of my Silverado next to the cab until recently. I took my RV to Knoxville, Tennessee and had a welding shop that has been certified by the frame manufactor build and install a dual reciever hitch and platform on the rear of my RV. This cost more than the generator, although still much cheaper than an Onan diesel! You can see the generator at: sogoodtobuy.com and the Knoxville welding shop I used was Alamo Welding (Terry McCroskey @ 865-689-8096). This may not suit your needs but gives another option. I also like having the storage space in the front of the RV that the Onan would have taken up.

dmoffitt

Hey Rod. I have a 2012 Landmark that has these same risers in the genset compartment. they rise about 3 or 4 inches from the floor. did you have to remove these to put the gen in. The local dealer acted like the gen did not set on these, but on the floor. I am going to try and install my gen this weekend. Thanks in advance.