Made it and feel great...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Sometimes you start out to do something and are not sure if everything will go right, then once you made it you just want to say "Oh Yeah".

I have driven on mountain roads most of my life. But I have never pulled a large trailer up a lot of steep grades. In 2009 we went to Glacier National Park and had to go up i-90 just past Butte Montana. This goes up an 8% grade for a long haul. When we went up in 2009 we got down to 35mph. So going up this year and we had the Disk brakes and BF leveling system added to the weight I was unsure that we would make the grade.

As we were going up the 8% grade we kept getting slower and in lower gears. In 2009 I did not have the Edge Gages installed so I was worried about the temps. Well we made it with flying colors. There was a 18 Wheeler that was really going slow. Real Slow.. I though oh man will we make it. We got down to 39mph, in 3rd gear and was still pulling well at 2500 RPM's . The exaust temp never got over 1300*, Oil temp was 233 and Cooling temp was 225 and transmission 180*. In fact once I got down in 3rd gear I feathered off the accelerator and we were keeping an good 39 mph and could have gone faster if I had put my foot into it.

My truck is not chipped or modified in any way. I am thinking next April I will go to Powerstroke Magic in Houston and have a larger exaust and EGR Block on the engine. I may (???) program the computer for a bit more power.

Now I am wondering can I pull the 1 mile 10% grade in Palo Duro Canyon Texas.

Hummmm.

BC

Terry H

Past Texas North Chapter Leader/Moderator
Staff member
Yes, you can it is easy. The max speed you will want to go coming out of Palo Duro Canyon is about 10 or 15 mph. That is plenty fast with the tight curves up the 2 lane road.