What type of Coax Cable for cable TV and/or satellite TV

pegmikef

My North Trail has an exterior coax input connector labeled "cable" (not satellite). I accessed the cable itself and it is marked in Chinese, but it also says "75 ohm, series 6" and some other numbers. My local satellite guy said I need to have RG-6 cable to run a satellite connection. Can anyone out there tell whether or not this series 6 coax is the same thing as RG-6. I'm familar with RG-59, but I don't know anything about this RG-6 stuff. I have a 12 V source and plan to hook up the vqube (sp?). Thanks for any info.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
My guess would be that the Series 6 cable is a replacement for RG-6.
And, I have a friend that uses satellite and his cable is not RG-6. Works just fine for him.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

It is likely RG-6, but that is probably not the key question. On many models, connector marked 'Cable' is combined with the TV antenna feed and goes through splitters on the way through the coach. Also, there is likely an antenna amplifer (a red light next to a pushbutton) that must be turned off to watch cable, and turned on for antenna usage.

If you try to route satellite through this wiring, you'll probably find it doesn't work because of the splitters and amplifer not passing satellite frequencies.

I don't know the North Trail, but you probably have connectors marked for Satellite, which will work.

pegmikef

Hehehe, I wish Dan, but nope only one input and it is the one marked cable. On the upside, I can see the cable and access it without too much difficulty because there is slack in it. It is a straight shot to the panel (my NT is a small TT) so I am figuring I can probably bypass the splitter and just make a separate outlet in it. Thanks for reminding about the splitter deal. I am leaning towards the Tailgater now instead of the VuQube (cheaper and doesn't need a separate power source).

cableman

The cable marked series 6 is the same as RG-6 cable. You can use it and will work fine. If you can access the cable run a new one.

pegmikef

The cable marked series 6 is the same as RG-6 cable. You can use it and will work fine. If you can access the cable run a new one.

Yeah, I decided to just go ahead and run a new point to point cable with separate input and output ports dedicated to a satellite hookup. That way I won't have to mess with the factory stuff and will still be able to use them when not using the satellite deal. I just went out and bought the cable and exterior and interior ports and it cost me less than 20 bucks. The only hairy part might be fishing the cable up the wall, but if my fish tape cooperates it ought to be pretty easy.