Longer-term storage. 8 mos or so for mil deployment

tf5598

I am deploying overseas this fall until next summer. My 2011 NT32BUDS will be stored in San Antonio, and I'm looking for some tips on storing my camper. I will winterize it, but I'm wondering what else I should think about. My main concern right now is the tires--eg flattening them out. Any suggestions here? Use the jacks? Any other thoughts?
Any tips much appreciated.

Tim

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Tim, A lot depends on your normal routine. I would consider opening all the plumbing fixtures. This will prevent the seals/washers from becoming "flattened". I would also use some plumbers lube on the toilet seal to keep it from becoming dried out. If you have covers on the roof vents, you can leave the vents open a bit to let the rig "breathe". As for the tires and suspension, you have two options. Air up the tires, crank the stabilizers down and walk away OR, block up the rig on concrete blocks and remove the tires. Store them in the rig if theres room. No worries about theft or UV damage from losing a tire cover.
Thank You for your service to our country and have a safe deployment.

wdk450

Tim:
You know a lot of these units sit on dealer's lots for a year or more before they are sold. Maybe the dealers would have some tips on this.

Good luck and God's love to you as you defend us sheep from the wolves of the world!!! This especially hits home on the upcoming 10th anniversary of our nation's "2nd Pearl Harbor"!!!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
My rig sits unattended from October to late April. In the past, I only set the front jacks down after parking it with some wood pieces under the tires. With the Ground Control jacks I put on earlier this year, I'll probable drop the rears down, too, and raise it up a bit. Even so, I have not had a problem with the tires or suspension and keep the tires covered. Do make sure to inflate them to the maximum cold pressure rating, including the spare. Lubricate any manual jack mechanisms.

Use air to blow out the plumbing before adding the antifreeze and don't forget to dump some into the toilet tank and gray tanks, as well. Make sure anything remotely edible is removed, including your clothing (or vacuum seal it). Be sure to go around the rig and seal up any openings that don't need to be there with expanding foam. Home-made rubber gaskets around any slide piston rods work to close them up.

I don't leave my vents open while stored, but then I'm not worried about a large heat build-up either. Close all the window blinds to cut down on the sun load on the interior and remove any electronics that aren't nailed down. Put a sign outside that you've removed the TV and stereo and maybe the crooks will pass your rig by (no guarantee on that).

Might also be a good thing to get your wheel bearings repacked before you leave.

Good luck on your deployment and stay safe. Keep an eye out for wacky Iraqi's or angry Afghans. And don't pick up any empty pop cans along the road to get the deposit.

jpdoggett

First I want to Thank You for Your Service to our Country be safe and May God Bless you. I have had many different 5th wheels and have stored all of them any where from 6 to 9 months all I have done is to winterize it and leave the vents open and put in some Decon around inside.

And Again THANK YOU

Sandpirate69

Like the everyone else GodSpeed. I am also a Veteran & a Reservist. I will probably have to come back to this Blog in the beggining of next year for my Deployment. First thing is to make sure your family is setup for your deployment. Computer, Internet, & Camera for overseas contact. Can't always rely on the phone service, if you've been over already you know, the USO is limited in Afghan. Load up Skype, its slow, but it works. As far as your rig, I think the great folks below have posted what will be the best. If your rig has a generator, either dump the fuel or put stabil that also stabilizes the ethanol in the fuel.

Best of luck, you will be headed into the winter, so pack warm under layers. I wasn't given enough & wife had to send me cold weather gear.

Any questions, hit me up at ivan.roiz@navy.mil

God Speed

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
One other thing to add about storing long term, especially if you expect hot weather. Remove the CO detector and Smoke Alarm(s) from the rig and take out the batteries. Prolonged exposure to high temps, along with the natural outgassing of the interior materials can poison the sensors to where they won't work properly. This was told to me by Atwood when they replaced one in our previous rig. And remove or disconnect the rig's battery.