Hitch/Receiver to pull 500 lb. motorcycle

T

tomnpam

Scott or Coley - Although we know the factory cannot technically sanction (and will not warranty) what we are going to do, but we are wondering if you can at least help us do what we want to do....because of the Bighorn's large 12" frame, we want to put a hitch/receiver on the back of the unit and pull our 500 lb. motorcycle behind. We are aware that 1/3 of the states do not allow this but we are prepared for that. Would the factory be willing to work with us on putting the safest/strongest hitch on possible? We have found a place where they do custom hitches and they have a good reputation. With your knowledge of the frame, it would be so helpful (since we're going to do it anyway) if someone at the factory could advise whoever puts on the hitch as far as the best way to do it. Forest River and Titanium were willing to work with us but we were uncomfortable with their 10" frame. We are hoping the 12" frame will make this more doable. We've gone round and round with this issue for over a year.....a toyhauler didn't work for us because of limited space for eventual fulltiming and a motorhome was out because we just don't like motorhomes. Plus, we just love fivers! We also know a lot of folks do what we want to do and very successfully. So, we are hoping for help with the understanding that you will not guarantee anything but any help you can give us would be most appreciated. Thanks! Tom and Pam P.S. Jim - If you read this, we apologize for not getting back to you....life has been busy! But, we have appreciated your help and may take you up on that phone call!

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
tomnpam, I am thinking about doing the same thing to my Landmark except I want to pull a golf car. Do you have a list of states that allow you to tow behind a 5th wheel?Thanks

nhunter

I saw a guy that had a rack on the back of his 5th wheel for a quad. He had a heavy wall 2" square tube welded on each frame rail from the axles to the back fo the trailer. Then his quad rack slid in/ out of the dual recievers. Just an idea.

trdeal

Thanks for the help guys. When you are out on the road you see many 5rs towing trailers(have a friend that does it)and many 5rs with the rack bolted or welded to the frame. Have talked to owners of each. Each have had no problems and have have not talked to anyone towing behind their 5r that has gtten a ticket or even a warning.I really don't think the law enforcement would give a ticket for the towing thing unless there was an accident or something like that.It would make it alot eaiser getting my golf car to the beach if I towed it rather than depending on someone else.Thanks again.

trdeal

DennisZ said:
Terry
Here is a link I found to states that allow Triple towing along with some of their restrictions. Some states require commercial licenses along with endorsements for triple towing (California).

http://www.wecamp2.com/size.html

Dennis
Thanks for the link. Looks as if North Carolina and South Carolina are a no. There was nothing but a dot in the triple towing space, and no explanation for what the dot meant. Maybe it meant do it if you want to.I did talk to a Highway Patrol officer the other day and he did not know.My thinking is they to many other problems to worry about.Thanks again.

ChopperBill

The dot means it is allowed. The only states, that I really care about, that don't allow it are Washington and Oregon.

madigand

My dealer installed a 2" reciever on my 5er. I have not used it yet, but plan on a bike rack. check out this thread //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php?t=2594&highlight=hitch

trdeal

My son installs the radio equipment and the other stuff they have in their cars for the NCHP. He has just talked to an officer from the motor carrier division of the HP and was told that we could not tow a trailer behind a fifth wheel in NC. The truckers are only allowed to do it on certain highways.Had to do with the danger of the trailer coming loose from the standard hitch. The officer told him that if you could use a fith wheel type hitch for the trailer that would be ok. I know that there are many,many 5rs out there towing a trailer so the law is not being enforced.I think if I wanted to do it strongly enough I would do it.My friend just had a hitch installed on his new 5r for that purpose. I think it cost him around $600.00.

Eduardo37

The Grand Patriarch
Towing behind 5er,

I read somewhere that it is not allowed in Florida. However, I was having breakfast one time where a couple FHP were at the next table. A car went by towing a TT about 27' and a boat about 18', and one of the patrolmen just exclaimed to his partner, "Wow man, did you see that rig?" Nothing about it being illegal or the probability of them getting stopped down the road.

Scott

Honestly - if you work with a dealer who is experienced at installing such hitches on the rear of 5th wheels, they will know exactly how and where to mount such a hitch.
As for Heartland, we will not even attempt to discuss this procedure, except to remind you that it is not recommended, nor covered under warranty. There are no drawings, or suggestions from Heartland as to how best to do this. Any insight, drawings, or even encouragement on our part could constitute a form of legal liability and/or obligation - which I cannot open us up to.
On another note - we sure do have a very strong 12" I-beam frame!
ST

Pulltab

1. Some friends of ours came to visit last week. They tow a Teton 40'er with a Peterbilt and an suv behind the trailer. Lucky for them the location but the hitch literally broke out a piece of the frame and the toad went off on it's own. Fortunately it ran up into some grass and hit nobody or anything. They did not even know it happened till someone caught up with them on the other side of town and waved them down. Now THAT is scary! They have decided to sell the suv. He said he has also been pulled over and made to disconnect in Penn, and Ca. So don't think it is not being enforced unless you feel really lucky. This is the perfect example of why you should not chance towing behind the trailer. All that flex from the vehicle pushing and pulling on the frame just weakens it. Good luck if you decide to do it.

T

tomnpam

Thanks!

The only reason we are planning on doing it is that we only have a 500 lb. motorcycle (not a big SUV!!) and the 12" I beam frame. A small swivel wheel trailer designed specifically for fivers that sits close to the back of the fiver will also cut down on the rough ride. We do not plan on going into states that have the tow restrictions with our bike and trailer. We will store the bike and trailer when necessary. Thank goodness our own great state of Colorado allows this type of towing. Thanks for all the advice. We'll let everyone know how it goes when we get it done eventually. Our Bighorn doesn't even arrive until the end of June so we may not even get the hitch setup done for awhile.....

Handy

A Florida camper
This looks good to me and is a safer way to go that a 5er pulling a trailer with a bike on it.

Sport Carrier II
  • The 48" X 84" steel deck plate will carry two motorcycles, a golf cart or whatever else your trip calls for.
  • Features a removable tire stop, and allows you to tow up to 5000 lbs.
  • Loads curb or street-side.
  • Ramps fold and store under the carrier, to allow for tight parking situations.
  • Add in the tie down locations built into the deck and a black powder coat finish, and you have one of the most useful, convenient and durable carriers on the market.
  • For use with fifth wheels and incorporates a wheel dolly.
cart.jpg

T

tomnpam

Thanks, Handy! That's the one we're looking at! Doesn't look too bad, does it? Carrying sideways makes a lot of sense and certainly cuts back on the length....

ChopperBill

JMO but it looks like a set up like that would put more weight on the trailer frame than a well balanced trailer unless I am missing something there.

tdharley

I just got back from the Americade motorcycle rally in Lake George and got to see the following lifts. A couple of them I even got to crawl under the motorhomes and look how they were welded to the frames.

http://www.rvlifts.com/index.asp

http://www.hydralift-usa.com/

http://www.cruiserlift.com/cruiserlift.html

http://www.factoryramps.com/products/motorcycle/carrier/rvlift.html

I also ran into a biker that had this platform

http://www.cruiserlift.com/swivelwheel58.html

Keep in mind that these sites that I am sending you to were not the actual people I spoke to accept for Overbilt.

After seeing the extensive weliding jobs that the lifts needed I am going to go for the platform type. I now see that they offer a one wheel and two wheel unit. I have the guys email address that owns the platform and will ask him his opinion. He has no problems with his, although I did not ask if it was 1 or 2 wheel.