Pin Weight Wonders

Tomcat

This is my first time on the Landmark forum. We are trying to figure out the best option for our future selection of a 5th wheel to live in full time. We have checked out the luxery line of Heartland and from what we have seen, heard and read I don't believe there is a better choice. We would like to get the Landmark Rushmore but I am confused by the forum discussions on one ton trucks as the tow vehicle. We have an older 2000 F350 SRW Powerstroke. Low miles and runs great. My towing expierence is a Gooseneck horse trailer with dual axle. No 5th wheel expierence. This is nowhere close to the length, weight or pin weight of the LMR. What does "1 Ton truck" indicate if not the loaded axle weight? Even a dually does not have the capacity for a pin weight approaching 1 -1/2 ton. How does this work for upgrades to the suspension, braking, etc.? Would we better off with a shorter trailer like the BH TI 32? The pin weight is only a couple of hundred pounds different from the the LMR that is 6 feet longer so I'm not sure if this is the best compromise. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Tomcat

jimtoo

Hi Tomcat,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and hopefully the Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure some of our other family members will jump in soon and help out with more information.

Meanwhile enjoy the forum.

Jim M

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This is my first time on the Landmark forum. We are trying to figure out the best option for our future selection of a 5th wheel to live in full time. We have checked out the luxery line of Heartland and from what we have seen, heard and read I don't believe there is a better choice. We would like to get the Landmark Rushmore but I am confused by the forum discussions on one ton trucks as the tow vehicle. We have an older 2000 F350 SRW Powerstroke. Low miles and runs great. My towing expierence is a Gooseneck horse trailer with dual axle. No 5th wheel expierence. This is nowhere close to the length, weight or pin weight of the LMR. What does "1 Ton truck" indicate if not the loaded axle weight? Even a dually does not have the capacity for a pin weight approaching 1 -1/2 ton. How does this work for upgrades to the suspension, braking, etc.? Would we better off with a shorter trailer like the BH TI 32? The pin weight is only a couple of hundred pounds different from the the LMR that is 6 feet longer so I'm not sure if this is the best compromise. Thanks for any help you can offer.
Tomcat

I beg to differ. I have a one-ton GMC dually and according to the RVSEF weighing record and its specifications, it's rated for a 4000 lb. pin load. The rear axle is good for 8200 lbs. at 60 psi in the tires. My BH3670 has a pin weight of 2950 lbs., giving me a 1050 lb. margin. If one-ton trucks could not handle Landmarks, there would be a scant few of them out on the road.

aatauses

Welcome to the forum. You will be happy with your decision for a HL product---the people are great.
As far as your truck, I think??? the payload for a one ton is considerable more than 2000#. I have a 3500 chevy Dually, but if you check on the Ford site you will get the actual payload for your model. YOu will not have any issues pulling a BH with a one ton---we pull our 3670 without any issues. Once you get rigged up with unit and truck I would highly advise you to get to a scale and weigh all axles, total weight, pin weight, etc and compare to the mfg to be sure you are within limits.
You will enjoy full timing
al

Tomcat

OK. I guess my rookieness is showing. The appparent contradiction in 3/4 ton and 1 ton verbage had me puzzled. I could find the towing capability but not the other specs that were mentioned. Thanks for the info. I'm further down the road to ownership.

danemayer

We're pulling a 2011 Rushmore with a 1 ton 2011 GMC diesel SRW. Payload of the truck is around 4200#. Our loaded Rushmore (including Generator, Washer/Dryer, and all our stuff) has an actual pin weight of 3000#. My wife and I, the hitch, tonneau cover, fuel, tools, etc. consume the other 1200#. Handling is great. Also pulls up mountains easily.

GOTTOYS

The F-350s, 3500s and so on are no longer referred to as "One Ton" trucks. Just as the F-250,2500s are not referred to as 3/4 ton trucks anymore. Many of them are rated for a 3,000-4,500# payload capacity depending on the vehicle...Don

mmomega

AnyTimer
The F-350s, 3500s and so on are no longer referred to as "One Ton" trucks. Just as the F-250,2500s are not referred to as 3/4 ton trucks anymore. Many of them are rated for a 3,000-4,500# payload capacity depending on the vehicle...Don

Agreed, the 1/2-3/4,1ton numbers are from many many years ago when truck hauled those amounts. The numbers have just stuck through the years more so as a reference to the badging numbers, ( I have a 1ton instead of saying I have an F350 ) most 3/4 tons are rated at 4,000+ lbs and 1 tons @ 6,000+lbs.

olcoon

Here is something that might help in your decision. The neat thing is that it came from one of our forum members!

caissiel

I had a 98 GM 2500 and it had payload capacity of 3500 Lbs and it could carry it quit well.
I have now a F250 that has a Carrying Capacity of 2300 Lbs and the springs need help to carry it well.
But my Ford is tow monster that has penty of capacity once build right and plenty of mechanical equipment to do the job well.
I think Ford is more conserned about a smooth riding trucks then carrying capacity when it comes to springs.

lwmcguir

We towed our Landmark with our F250 with no issues whatsoever. Did have to air up the bags to get the desired level we like to maintain when towing. With our F350 we dont need air bags bud did order the heaviest package available along with 20 inch tires. You will not have any issues towing. The primary concern is to make sure your Trailer brakes work well.

mmomega

AnyTimer
The SRW F350s have a 4" block as opposed to a 2" block on the F250's and F350 Duallys so they naturally sit higher in the rear so when you add the weight they usually level out. So a 250 or 350 dually may squat a little in the back depending on the weight. My '11 dually is a little nose high compared to my '07 SRW which sits level when loaded.

lwmcguir

The SRW F350s have a 4" block as opposed to a 2" block on the F250's and F350 Duallys so they naturally sit higher in the rear so when you add the weight they usually level out. So a 250 or 350 dually may squat a little in the back depending on the weight. My '11 dually is a little nose high compared to my '07 SRW which sits level when loaded.

Absolutely right on. When we had the F350 delivered the back looked to be too high and I wondered if we were going to have to raise the Augusta. Hooked it up and it sits with the Augusta about 1/2 inche high loaded. Currently use the Ford 5th wheel ball and the 5th Airborne pin. Going to probably go to a TS3 since they have the new lock in bed adapter for the facotory Ford set up.