Hip replacement surgery

Bob Vaughn

I got my total hip replacement surgery done on Wed.31st. I can't wait to get out of the hospital, which is tomorrow (Sun Sept. 4th) and start getting things fixed that were damaged on our 6 week trip up north. The therapy is excruciating but I will get thru it and will be able to do things that I could not do before I got it fixed,(like walking and climbing steps). I so look forward to getting back to camping.....

2psnapod2

Texas-South Chapter Leaders-Retired
Bob, I wish for you a speedy recovery and then you can get out and walk more. We all need to do more walking. Our world has certainly turning us all in to recliner potatoes!

jimtoo

Hi Bob,,, I have been told by others that had the hip job done that the main thing now is the therapy and exercise. I hear it hurts like crazy for a while... but hang in there, do what the Dr's say. Also I have heard it is good to follow the wife's advice.... like "DO IT NOW". :)

Jim M

Bobby A

I got my total hip replacement surgery done on Wed.31st. I can't wait to get out of the hospital, which is tomorrow (Sun Sept. 4th) and start getting things fixed that were damaged on our 6 week trip up north. The therapy is excruciating but I will get thru it and will be able to do things that I could not do before I got it fixed,(like walking and climbing steps). I so look forward to getting back to camping.....

Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery, I just found out last week I'm in need of a hip replacement also, gonna try to wait until next spring to have it done. Keep us posted on your recovery/

jbeletti

You'll be good as new Bob. A fella here on Homeless Hill in my sub-division had hip replacement a week ago. Saw him walking outdoors with the aid of a walker a couple days ago. Amazing.

Jim

Lance & Jo

Had my left one done last year and not to worry Bob the pain goes away in just a few days. give yourself a couple weeks and you will be amazed at the difference. Just remember to stay active, therepy and exercise are the keys to success. Hope all turns out good for you.

olcoon

Bob,
Been there, done that, & now PROUDLY wear the T shirts...both of them. Had my last replacement a year ago last Nov., and the first one done a year before that. My first one was done during the summer, and as soon as possible after the surgery I became a "street walker". Every day I was walking & working at going further each walk, even if it was just a few steps. Came away from it in great shape! The second one was done just before Thanksgiving, and it turned very cold, and started snowing, so I couldn't get out & walk like I did with the first one. Just got out when we could & walked in the mall...not the same. It took me longer to recover from that one. Last fall we spent a month in Colorado, and did a lot of geocaching & hiking with NO pain, & no problems. This summer we have been work camping in Colorado, and have been doing a lot of hiking & geocaching and again NO pain, & no problems! After putting up with the pain for about 20 years, it's a whole new life! Bottom line is do the therepy, and work it as much as possible to get everything built back up. One more thing....the pain will go away SOON! Probably by the time they take the staples out you won't want the drugs! Good luck & enjoy your new life!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Hang in there Bob! Like the others have said, the therapy and your desire to git er dun, will have you out and about in no time.

kkamshop

Bob, I am 2 months post op THR and the first two weeks I mostly slept and slowly moved around to get the leg working again. Two more weeks and I could walk with a cane instead of a walker and went camping for the first time post surgery.
Returned to work on a short shift (max of 5 hours) schedule as a pharmacy technician - lots of standing and walking/ no sitting!! Stamina is not there yet to work an 8 or 10 hour shift.
Today I cut and laid a new carpet in our daughter's small bathroom, no problem.

Hope your recovery goes as well as mine has!

Bob Vaughn

I had gone to the surgeon when we returned from our trip to confirm that I had a problem .... bone on bone....he said it would take a couple of months to get it scheduled so he gave me a shot to relieve some of the pain which did work....about a week later my wife said why don't you call and get the surgery scheduled.....as luck would have it the dr's nurse told me it was my lucky day, they had just had a surgery cancellation the next week, and if i could get the pre op stuff done she would pencil me in.....It was a hassle getting a primary care physican appt. and having a medical release and ekg, and blood work, x-rays etc. done prior to the surgery apt. we finished up just in time.....I am so glad I made that phone call at that time......

Bob Vaughn

I came home from the hospital with a uniary tract infection. I finally started on a antibiotic for that yesterday. I wake up in the morning exhausted from getting up hourly to go to the bathroom. That is a challenge in itself. My staples come out on Monday. My physical therapist was a DI in a former life.......

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I feel for you, antibiotics and all... It will get better, but that first couple of weeks is hard.
Kristy

kkamshop

Bob, sorry to hear about the UTI and the drill instructor.
The surgeon I have does not believe in physical therapy per se, he thinks they all try to make an athlete out of you! He just has some basic stretches to do for the first 2 months and a more advanced set of exercises for the rest of the recovery time.
Hang in there, it gets better every day...

Bob...had the surgery and changed my life! You won't believe the things you will be able to do! Hang in there...good luck and good fishin'!

ChopperBill

Had my right one replaced about 20 years ago and then again about 6 years ago because it was bothering me. Well low and behold the new one started popping when I straighten up. You can hear it snap clear across the room. Not a happy guy and really don't want to do it a third time.