Looking at a 3010 Toy Hauler- have questions

JakeB

We just bought a new truck a new 2011 Ford F250 crew 4x4 shortbed. Planning on using the B &W companion hitch in it. We have no problems now with our Sundance and turning tight with it. Will the Cyclone still be okay or do we need a slider hitch? Also, can you get a Cyclone without the onboard generator? I have a large Honda unit that I'd like to use instead. We have looked at the Fuzion Touring Edition 322 and really like it. Just unsure about going up to the toy haulers in general as weight and pin weight really confuse me.

rustyshakelford

B&W works great with the 3010. I had one when I had a SB chevy. And got another one for my dodge.

You can order the 3010 without a generator. I'm pretty sure it comes with genny prep so that would have the transfer switch and hopefully the fuel lines. I'd check with you dealer before hand though.

Brett

dougw

Originally I pulled our 3010 with our 08 f250 supercab shortbed diesel. it did just find all though pin wieght was border line in my opinion but was still safe. Without a gen you'll be a bit better off. We would only carry 2 dirt bikes in back so any thing more only helps the pin weight as well. As for turning we have a reese 16k slider. I do use it only when making tight turns in and out of our driveway. I do like having the piece of mind having it just in case I every drive down some road I might end up turning around on. So in my opinion you should have one even if you don't ever use it.

Lynn1130

You will have no turning problems with the short bed. I am pulling mine with a short bed crew cab and no slider. I have no turning issues at all.

stsmark

I have a 2812 and a 2011 F350 with a Reese 18K slider that has never been moved. I have had it cranked a couple times but you just have to remember to take a quick look. If you do a lot of uneven ground work it's probably worth it. BTW the 6.7 Powerstroke and truck you just get in and drive, no drama just go. 4th gear is a pulling fool.

Vtxkid

We have the 3010 and had the Husky 16K slider hitch also in my SB 2500 HD Chevy... Had that set-up for about a year and never used the slider either. Went to a long bed truck since but if I knew then, what I know now, and was buying a hitch for a SB truck, I wouldn't have the slider...

dougw

The old saying.... "Isn't it better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it"... is that worth that one time you might possibly need it? For me, I'd rather have it...and not need it but I use mine. I'm not about to damage my new truck and trailer. Its a piece of mind for me.

Lynn1130

Perhaps, and it is really a personal choice but one of the many reasons that I settled on Heartland and the Cyclone was because I have a short bed and did not want the extra expense of a slider. The 88 degree turn was a selling point for me. So, as they say, whatever floats your boat.

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
It does come Gen prepped from the factory, and the generator is an option

AJJONES

Senior GM for Cyclone, Torque, Gateway & Sundance
As far as the slider hitch goes it is not nessesary with our 88 degree turning radius design. However there is nothing wrong with having it if you prefer to have it ,as Lynn1130 what ever floats your boat.

porthole

Retired
Short beds and sliders, 88 degrees or not - something to keep in mind. The HL trailers all are decal-ed with an 88 degree turn notice on the nose when new, regular 5th wheels and the toy haulers.

Keep in mind that the toy haulers are 5 inches wider, that is an extra 2 1/2" per side to keep an eye on.
If uneven ground is an issue or especially backing/turning up a hill (see my driveway pictures) then you need to be really careful or just get the slider. And auto slide is better then manual.

A 250/2500 is barely adequate for a loaded toy hauler.

Can you bridge the neutral and ground on your honda?

If you add a protection device like the Progressive EMS it will prevent the power flow with out using the bypass. Bypassing it will allow current but will show faults in the system.

Personally I would suggest getting the on board genny, that we you never have to move it and it is always there.

Lamphere

We pull our 2812 with a 2500 GMC short box and opted to get a slider when we first had it installed, my husband backed it in the driveway several times without moving the slider, very doable. One day he thought lets move it and see if it's easier and it was, so much easier to get backed in. So just saying that you probably don't need it but could make things easier.